Yuck, Fender.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://www.fender.com/guitars/strat...atocaster-with-ash-body-/product-0170173.html

LIMITED EDITION SANDBLASTED STRATOCASTER® WITH ASH BODY
MODEL #: 0170173338

Hover To Zoom

• COLOR
    CRIMSON RED TRANSPARENT
  • FINGERBOARD MATERIAL
    MAPLE
$999.99

FIND A DEALER
A BEAUTY THAT’S A BLAST
The Limited Edition Sandblasted Ash Stratocaster features one of the most alluringly unusual finish treatments yet seen on a Fender instrument. After the transparent finish (in beautiful Sapphire Blue or Crimson Red) is applied, the ash body is literally sandblasted, leaving the surface grain pattern wonderfully textured with parallel ruts and grooves in which the black grain-filler coat shows beneath the color finish coat. It’s a truly beautiful look complemented by a black pickguard, and the “topography” of no two instruments is identical. The guitar is also finely appointed with American Standard single-coil Stratocaster pickups, a “no-load” tone control for the middle and bridge pickups (bypasses tone control circuitry when turned all the way up), and much more.
FEATURES
  • Ash body with special sandblasted finish treatment
  • 9.5”-radius maple fingerboard with 22 jumbo frets
  • Three American Standard single-coil Stratocaster pickups with five-way switching
  • “No-load” tone control for middle and bridge pickups (bypasses all tone control circuitry when turned all the way up)
  • Black pickguard, control knobs and pickup switch tip
  • Vintage-style synchronized tremolo bridge
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?

fender-stratocaster-limited-edition-sandblast-crimson-red-transparent-us14109159-left__wwg.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hjpf1hkqqsqxco7qwqhz.jpg

0170175338_gtr_frtbdydtl_001_nr.png

Aside from possibly being a little weird feeling because of its non-smooooooveness, I actually think it's quite gorgeous. If it didn't have that stupid six screw bridge, I'd hit it.

Kind of reminds me of some of the rather crude examples I saw of Gibson faded series guitars back in the late 90s. This is not praise...

What I'm finding funny is that these are higher priced MIM models.

I think Carvin will do an ash body in this finish without much of an up charge. With more colors too.

I like that technique. I've done it with wire brushes to similar result. Instant aged wood lol. It's real easy to make it look like a weathered barn board, though I like the technique they used, too.
Not sure I'd buy it but I'd look it over closely.

I have actually touched a couple of these, and believe me, they feel worse than they look like they would. While I do like the coloration, I really loathe deep-rudded non-finishes on guitars, and these feel like you're running your hand across tree bark.

Back