What is the first Compact Disc you ever bought?

71PrfBnIAlL._SY355_.jpg

When I went to the record shop to buy a CD for my brand new CD player, they only had like 10 CDs to choose from.

Funny I can remember the first LP I bought, but have no idea when it comes to CDs. I was raising 3 little girls at the time. It may have been Nevermind.

7AF83041-2575-4178-ACDA-142D9642CC89.jpeg
68743E48-F28D-4D41-9158-9A3495456E2E.jpeg

Probably this one. A reference tape cd sampler that I listen to when buying my first stereo system. It was recorded well and had all sorts of soundstage and imaging built in.

i hung on to my turntable/vinyl and TDK's for a long time after cd's came out, but one of the first cd's i bought (10 years after it came out) was this one.
cover_45196282009.jpg

Funny story: my SECOND CD that I bought was a Carpenters album for the wife (CD selection was very limited in 1984). I was playing it for a friend and he quipped: "Wow, what detail! You can hear Karen's stomach growl."

Yes, I laughed. Yes, I know I'm going to hell.

I think the Karen Carpenter thing isn't funny, in no small part because of the context around eating disorders. They are rooted in really, really negative cultural images and stereotyping.

Back