WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO....RIGHT NOW Mk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did a few shows many years ago with Highasakite's drummer Trond. Remember he was a talented jazz drummer at the time. Cool bloke.
Shame there's been all sorts of band drama last few years. Half the band pretty much fired, court cases and shit that happens when you get a bit of fame.

Little known project he had before starting Highasakite was a quite cool trio PELbO (with former Highasakite guitar player Kristoffer Lo on....tuba).
Think both their albums are still on the streaming apps.

Did a few shows many years ago with Highasakite's drummer Trond. Remember he was a talented jazz drummer at the time. Cool bloke.
Shame there's been all sorts of band drama last few years. Half the band pretty much fired, court cases and shit that happens when you get a bit of fame.

Little known project he had before starting Highasakite was a quite cool trio PELbO (with former Highasakite guitar player Kristoffer Lo on....tuba).
Think both their albums are still on the streaming apps.

i don’t know a lot about Trond, but did read an interview with the singer/writer ingrid helene havik. And she said they met at the jazz conservatory like ten years ago. So that makes sense. I think ingrid at least got burnt out on jazz, though.

i don’t know a lot about Trond, but did read an interview with the singer ingrid helene havik. And she said they met at the jazz conservatory like ten years ago. So that makes sense. I think ingrid at least got burnt out on jazz, though.

Yeah, that's right. Trond and former keyboard player Øystein Skar were classmates before that at the same school I went to (a few years after me though).

As far as I know most of them got a little burnt out on the jazz thing and wanted to do something different. Seemed to work :wink:

That is so good.
I was listening to the first record yesterday coming back from my hike (the butterflies and Zebras thread) and the reason being was the road to the trail head is a like riding the electric bull in Urban cowboy. it's just under three miles but it's four low and 1st /2nd gear so it takes about 50 minutes, well i felt powerful and what is more powerful than THE WIZARD in a vehicle at good volume (but I have learned over the years it's best on those roads with no music other than the purr of the engine just off idle and the tires grabing ground and rolling on dirt because music can get you in troub le and breaks your concentration).. So when I got back to the main road I felt relief and triumph...that and The Wizard is what makes crosstown driving bearable for me...so
Anyway It was the first time I listened to the first album. I'm familiar with a few songs from youtube but what I was thinking was on most of the album they hadn't quite hit their stride. There were many songs where it was more like Sabbath riffage on steroids but it didn't have that propulsive driving rhythm that it like a warm blanket over the brain and just puts you in that zombielike bliss state. Then there were bits and pieces in certain songs that had the fully developed WIZARD sound (especially the song Electric Wizard and Devils bride).

I was listening to the first record yesterday coming back from my hike (the butterflies and Zebras thread) and the reason being was the road to the trail head is a like riding the electric bull in Urban cowboy. it's just under three miles but it's four low and 1st /2nd gear so it takes about 50 minutes, well i felt powerful and what is more powerful than THE WIZARD in a vehicle at good volume (but I have learned over the years it's best on those roads with no music other than the purr of the engine just off idle and the tires grabing ground and rolling on dirt because music can get you in troub le and breaks your concentration).. So when I got back to the main road I felt relief and triumph...that and The Wizard is what makes crosstown driving bearable for me...so
Anyway It was the first time I listened to the first album. I'm familiar with a few songs from youtube but what I was thinking was on most of the album they hadn't quite hit their stride. There were many songs where it was more like Sabbath riffage on steroids but it didn't have that propulsive driving rhythm that it like a warm blanket over the brain and just puts you in that zombielike bliss state. Then there were bits and pieces in certain songs that had the fully developed WIZARD sound (especially the song Electric Wizard and Devils bride).

Totally agree. On the first album they hadn't really established their identity, and some of the songs sound too enslaved to Sabbath. Its not bad, it's just not their own thing yet. And they don't have the trance inducing quality that I like best about the Wizard.

Come My Fanatics comes right out of the gate with a whole new dense-like-a-black-hole thing.

Currently listening to the Guns, Germs, and Steel audiobook. I read it when it came out ages ago. Holds up well, despite not more rigorously acknowledging that humans are assholes to each other by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back