WANTED: Inexpensive HH or 2P90 Hardtail-NEVER MIIND I found something

Pine Apple Slim

Armchair Expert
Im looking for something affordable to put 12s on and downtune for a Rig of Doom.

Anybody got something like that lying around in the way they want to unload?
 
I hoping I can get lucky and just restring it and go.
But I realize when you go cheap there might be rough or sharp frets, or I may not like the pickup. If so no worries, I can dress frets and have plenty of spare parts lying around to mod it if necc.
 
Ok the Squier arrived yesterday. The guitar overall is nice. It has a nice heft, not extremely light, about how I like a tele to be.
The neck isn't my fav profile ever, its kinda an everyman profile, a bit on the skinny side but not something really objectionable, I can live with it.
No fret sprout but the ends are a little sharp plus the frets need a good polishing, kinda grungy.
The laurel fingerboard looks dry, and it has a weird gray tint to it. Im gonna dye it.
To make thing easier and faster I ordered a fret dressing kit(end file , guard, and polishing pads) from StewMac along with a bottle of ebony dye.
The guitar is usable as is, but a little fret TLC and a dark colored board and the thing will look and play like a way more expensive guitar.

Overall, I was please enough with the quality that I ordered another one, the single coils Mustang model in graffiti yellow for a discount at MF. The laurel board will get the same treatment. I don't own an offset, or a 24" scale guitar so Im looking forward to that as well.
The guy who taught me to play back in the 70s had a old Duo Sonic with the same vibe, so nostalgia got the best of me.
 
Last edited:
Electronics-

I havnt plugged it in but Im pretty sure the cheap ceramic bucker will do fine as long as it dosn't squeal uncontrollably.
The pots though are pretty scratchy to turn. I'll hit em with some contact cleaner and see if that helps, but I really dont care. I'll just put the tone to where it needs to stay and the vol will probably stay wide open all the time Not gonna be looking to roll the vol back to clean up on this thing anyway.

I may have to install better pots on the single coil Mustang, but maybe I'll get lucky.
 
Got the Mustang yesterday and Im glad I did. This one is surprisingly good right out of the box. The fretboard is darker w no grayish tint and actually looks like rosewood to me. The frets are in better shape than the tele and the pots seem fine. I'll still give the frets a little TLC and oil the fretboard when I change the strings but today Im just enjoying playing it.
It plays nice and sounds good but different than anything else I have.

As far as dyeing the tele neck, we'll see. Im gonna dress the frets and oil the fretboard before deciding. Just waiting on the stew mac kit to start.
Comparing the 3 laurel necks in the photo, IMO the Jazz is acceptable, looks like a lighter rosewood w some figure, the the Mustang looks best, and the tele...kinda weird. Worse in the photo than in person but still...
tempImageza1bBa.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top