Hot or Not? Vox MVX 150 Nutube

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
vox-mvx150-amp-front-back-copy-1024x256.jpg

http://voxamps.com/MVX150

Looks like the head will retail for $799

It's scalable, I believe. I think I saw where there were 4 or 5 different wattage settings, all the way down to 1 watt.
It is a cool concept...the NuTube. I assume Korg will be licensing it to other amp builders. It'll be interesting to see if it catches on.

Is it 150 watts for headroom or because NuTube amps are rated like SS amps instead of conventional tube amps?

They'll sell a few then discontinue them for whatever new snake oil comes along. See Valvetronix.

The first and second series of the Valvetronix amps were actually quite good ("tube" involvement notwithstanding), then the bottom fell out. Korg screwed the line up so badly with adding too many models and too many preset spots into dial locations, while forgetting that the simplicity of the originals were part of the charm.

The MV50s sound fantastic for what they are - a nice, "tube' pre/class D power in a box. The Clean and AC versions are both great; I would like to try the new ones when they are available. OTOH, the new MVX150 IMO is a HUGE strategic misstep, at least as far as price is concerned (see: Yamaha THR100) - sorry, but I ain't spending $800 for it no matter how good it sounds.

The first and second series of the Valvetronix amps were actually quite good ("tube" involvement notwithstanding), then the bottom fell out. Korg screwed the line up so badly with adding too many models and too many preset spots into dial locations, while forgetting that the simplicity of the originals were part of the charm.

The MV50s sound fantastic for what they are - a nice, "tube' pre/class D power in a box. The Clean and AC versions are both great; I would like to try the new ones when they are available. OTOH, the new MVX150 IMO is a HUGE strategic misstep, at least as far as price is concerned (see: Yamaha THR100) - sorry, but I ain't spending $800 for it no matter how good it sounds.

No argument from me. Everyone seemed to like the Valvetronix. The table and floor units seemed like good options for direct or PA amp sounds.

When I played one, it didn't sound bad at all. But it had too many fussy controls and felt incredibly plastic. Like "This will break the first time it leaves my house" plastic.

I had the opportunity to play one of the big AD120VTs for about six months. It truly fills a room with sound, but weighs an unforgivable (almost 60 pounds) amount, and the ergonomics only magnify that.

I had a Valvetronix amp for a while. The high gain sounds were pretty muddy but the clean sounds were killer. Did wonderful strat quacks.

Is it 150 watts for headroom or because NuTube amps are rated like SS amps instead of conventional tube amps?

The Nutubes are used in the preamp. They are dual-triode and supposed to be equivalent to a 12AX7.

The actual power amp is Class D solid-state. It can be 400-watts if they wanted; no power tube OD to be achieved by cranking it, so just set the volume where you need it.

It is a cool concept...the NuTube. I assume Korg will be licensing it to other amp builders. It'll be interesting to see if it catches on.

Or pedals...
http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_ef...&area_id=&cat_id=6&series_id=153&effect_id=39

39.png

They're supposedly hella microphonic. I wonder how they get around that in a 150 watt head?

Well, they said they were planning to offer accessories to help with that.

https://korgnutube.com/en/faq/

Q. Can the Nutube be affected by vibrations (i.e., microphonics)?
A. Yes, as the Nutube is a directly-heated type tube, it can be affected by vibrations. Suppressing the microphonic effect can be done more easily than with a conventional vacuum tube, as ‘Nutube’ does not generate heat.
We are also planning on offering accessories that can be used to suppress any microphonic effect.

Also, being a head, there is some isolation.

They're supposedly hella microphonic. I wonder how they get around that in a 150 watt head?

Nutubes are small enough that it wouldn’t be hard to mount them with some kind of isolating gasket. Not saying they did, just that it’s probably not a hard problem to fix.

Nutubes are small enough that it wouldn’t be hard to mount them with some kind of isolating gasket. Not saying they did, just that it’s probably not a hard problem to fix.
I had no idea they could be covered. Good to hear.

I only saw in action just how problematic they seemed in this video:

Of course, missed the video above.

Back