The Mercedes Sprinter

Here is my choice rather than a Sprinter. Old camper and all. Works great, and I have a pickup to use when I want a pickup. The Sprinters seem by comparison to me, ok at a lot of things, but not that great for daily use, work, off road, etc. If you are going to drive around and car camp, good on ya!View attachment 47554

View attachment 47554

yeah but you can't stealth camp overnight in the whole foods parking lot like in a Sprinter Van with a Thule cargo rack

upload_2019-4-18_10-29-29.png

My father and I circa 1982 at the 12 Hours of Sebring.

I see them used mostly with the mountain bike crowd, especially the teams. At least you can stand up in them, which is a lot better than most vans.

As I drive up hwy 395 several times a year on the way to the high Sierras, I can see those vans being blown over by desert winds. I've seen semis blown over on their side on my way to Mammoth. Tall vehicles are more susceptible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do a setup like that ^^^^^^
Not enough room for but one or two tops though.
It worked great and quite comfortably for I and my wife, road tripping with bikes to Bend, then on up to Puget Sound, on the trip where that pic was taken in Bend. And camping around here, it works great including my daughter and son (second bed in the kitchen table area that fits one adult or two smaller kids comfortably, in addition to the queen size-ish main bed), and my daughter is snooty and wants to sleep in her tent anyway. So, it works for us.

WRT cost, in addition to my $35k pickup, the camper cost me about 2k, so I am way ahead of a converted Sprinter in terms of cost, and have a pickup to use in addition.

Back