The Mercedes Sprinter

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
are these as popular in yer kn neck-o-the woods as they are here...fuckin' Amazon, the dude visiting the next door neight=bor towing a uhaul trailer, the Owner of the Pharmecuetical research company across from my work, a guy down the street...
seems like they are really popular in this era of VanLyfe

Is this just the new GoodTimes Van or is it a lasting thing?

i think I'm over them already myself (I've been in the Pharmaceutical guys travel one and they are nicew enough but not mindblowing or nothing

They are the default work truck where I live. Every contractor has one. They are also common as cabs, and rental cars for tourist families. They don’t seem to have caught on as private vehicles yet.

Yeah not really a good question for us in Germany or Switzerland. My wife's old boss owned one that I had to move around for him when he'd go on his extended vacations. Hated it. Zero charm, loud diesel. I expected much better.

I know that some contractor types build workshops in them
The van looks good for that purpose.

The company I do IT for churns out a ton of customized work trucks on that platform. They also make a ton of the frame-up box and walk-in trucks but the Sprinters are great in cities and areas with narrower streets because they're long and tall, but not wide.

I want one for my sound company and band truck.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's definitely catching on as a travel conversion. If I was single and had the time I'd love to do a project van and travel in it a bit. Alas, I have 3 kids and a full time job that requires 24/7 on call availability.

they're the classic climbing dirtbag vehicle, so it's not too surprising that they've crossed over to hipster-ish types (those look like hipster climbers in that pic)

they're the classic climbing dirtbag vehicle, so it's not too surprising that they've crossed over to hipster-ish types (those look like hipster climbers in that pic)
everything about that picture screams hipster gig economizer "stuff white people do" possibly trust funder people :embarrassed:

Well built machine. Unfortunately, in many of our minds around here, they are rich guy poser "look at me" vehicles.

They are expensive to obtain to convert, and the conversion guys around here are also using a Ford that is available instead. I bet the Mercedes would be better overall if you could afford it.

Me, I have my diesel pickup and a slide on camper. That works better for me.

Well built machine. Unfortunately, in many of our minds around here, they are rich guy poser "look at me" vehicles.

They are expensive to obtain to convert, and the conversion guys around here are also using a Ford that is available instead. I bet the Mercedes would be better overall if you could afford it.

Dodge also makes a version of that type of vehicle
2017_ram_promaster-cargo-van_cargo-van_2500-high-roof_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

wait till people need to start paying repair costs on these :wink: It looks like the price for a base model is relatively cheap, like 34,000 but mainetenance and repairs will be costly.

Dodge also makes a version of that type of vehicle
2017_ram_promaster-cargo-van_cargo-van_2500-high-roof_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg
in the mid 00's, there was a Dodge branded version of the Mercedes Sprinter. In 2006, it got better mileage than later due to some changes that occurred around then. I think emissions, but not knowledgeable enough to know for sure. A buddy had a gas fireplace business, and a Dodge Sprinter he used in it, and also then used for camping, mountain biking, etc. with macgyver-esque things he built out of wood for sleeping, interior bike racks, etc. He now works at least part of the time for one of the local conversion outfits.

My father used the Dodge Sprinter for his wedding photography business. He also made his own bio-fuel for it. Saved him tons of money.

Here is my choice rather than a Sprinter. Old camper and all. Works great, and I have a pickup to use when I want a pickup. The Sprinters seem by comparison to me, ok at a lot of things, but not that great for daily use, work, off road, etc. If you are going to drive around and car camp, good on ya!
oyT+g4h1Q16I55ZEvolkoA.jpg

oyT+g4h1Q16I55ZEvolkoA.jpg

Back