The Edge Rig Rundown

That's not that crazy. Cables have capacitance and knock off some treble. A wireless doesn't have that capacitance naturally. He should just switch to Line6 G90 wireless units since they actually have a configurable capacitance that simulates cables at different lengths. I tend to leave mine at about 20ft on my G50.

It’s crazy when you consider he is running his guitar through 2 and a half billion effects. One of those units doesn’t have an EQ, that could take some treble out? :grin:

Sounds like someone needs some ice cream.

Mmmmmmm. You’re right!

ef0984481ac5085468b660c6b693ce07.jpg

This is proof to me that ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE ADVANCED THE GUITAR ONE INCH.
I would argue that you are extremely wrong in that assessment. While Edge may have borrowed a few tricks used sparingly by others before him, his entire approach to the guitar is it's own thing that has since been often imitated, but never duplicated. It has also been a MASSIVE influence on countless players that came after. His influence is as undeniable as any of the establishment club of elite innovators and gun slingers.

Does he really NEED ALL of that gear to sound like himself? Of course not, but since when has being steadfastly dedicated to your craft become a bad thing?

It's not his ego that drives his pursuits, it's his passion and his dedication to the fans hearing him in the best possible way and getting what they paid for.

I find that refreshingly admirable and extremely rare for people branded as "lead guitarist".

Unlike the guys with a wall of fake Marshall stacks behind them, Edge doesn't even have amps on stage anymore, or any giant racks of gear etc. The audience doesn't see any of that stuff, and the casual fan couldn't care less anyway. It's ALL about the music for him.

When you see outboard gear makers standardizing things like automatic dotted 1/8th notes etc... yeah... Edge is the reason why. I'd call that "advancement".

I would argue that you are extremely wrong in that assessment. While Edge may have borrowed a few tricks used sparingly by others before him, his entire approach to the guitar is it's own thing that has since been often imitated, but never duplicated. It has also been a MASSIVE influence on countless players that came after. His influence is as undeniable as any of the establishment club of elite innovators and gun slingers.

Does he really NEED ALL of that gear to sound like himself? Of course not, but since when has being steadfastly dedicated to your craft become a bad thing?

It's not his ego that drives his pursuits, it's his passion and his dedication to the fans hearing him in the best possible way and getting what they paid for.

I find that refreshingly admirable and extremely rare for people branded as "lead guitarist".

Unlike the guys with a wall of fake Marshall stacks behind them, Edge doesn't even have amps on stage anymore, or any giant racks of gear etc. The audience doesn't see any of that stuff, and the casual fan couldn't care less anyway. It's ALL about the music for him.

When you see outboard gear makers standardizing things like automatic dotted 1/8th notes etc... yeah... Edge is the reason why. I'd call that "advancement".

Dotted eighth note echos advanced guitar the same way the chorus pedal did.

This is proof to me that ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE ADVANCED THE GUITAR ONE INCH.
You're seeing a shit-ton of gear and you're imposing your own expectations on him. Perhaps his objective has nothing to do with "advancing the guitar" in some grand Hendrixian, earth-shaking way as opposed to just coming up with something cool for whatever song they're writing.

Reactions: OGG
Fuck me running, is there no topic on this forum that won't somehow bring out the petty hate in people?
I don't think it's hate so much as seeing enough computing power to handle the Apollo missions and expecting a magical tone that's somehow proportional. That's understandable, but if you want that then go listen to Adrian Belew.

I just think it's a case of the rest of us being happy with eight crayons and Edge just likes to draw with the 64-pack. And when it's time to walk on stage then he wants all of that reproduced precisely. Where's the crime?

Reactions: OGG
Yeah - I don't get what Edge has ever done to deserve being slagged.

It's a mega show every night and he does everything he can to make it mega. I respect that and find it infectious and inspiring.

The number of "that's good enough, they'll never know" and "not this f***ing song again" types that get no joy out of music anymore are more common IMO.

It’s a thing. Rick Wright was the coolest part of Pink Floyd’s sound, but everyone focuses on Gilmour. If Wright had done that stuff on a guitar, it wouldn’t be any different.

No, you want to go drinking with Edge and Bono... I assure you the laughter will cause permanent internal damage that is well worth it.

I'm OGG, and I approve this message.
Are you saying that Bono is not a complete douche but only a partial douche?

It's a mega show every night and he does everything he can to make it mega. I respect that and find it infectious and inspiring.

The number of "that's good enough, they'll never know" and "not this f***ing song again" types that get no joy out of music anymore are more common IMO.
I didn't care too much for him until I saw It Might Get Loud. The guy is very self-depricating, funny, and very much a gearhead. I walked out of that movie identifying very strongly with him.

Dotted eighth note echos advanced guitar the same way the chorus pedal did.
Despite the implied smarmyness of that statement, it's hard to argue that the Chorus pedal DIDN'T advance Guitar. You may not like them, but there's no denying its massive impact on music.
HEY, DON'T TALK SHIT ABOUT CHORUS PEDALS!!!

Signed,
The 80s
Harumph!
I don't think it's hate so much as seeing enough computing power to handle the Apollo missions and expecting a magical tone that's somehow proportional. That's understandable, but if you want that then go listen to Adrian Belew.

I just think it's a case of the rest of us being happy with eight crayons and Edge just likes to draw with the 64-pack. And when it's time to walk on stage then he wants all of that reproduced precisely. Where's the crime?
Exactly.

People mock what they don't understand. Simple as that. There's nothing wrong with being a knuckle dragging luddite that never goes beyond plugging a Les Paul into a Marshall with the controls dimed out. The world needs ditch diggers too.

Edge is more like a Brain Surgeon that constantly employs the latest advancements in the field and isn't satisfied with "close enough".

Which guy do you want opening your cranium up and chasing that aneurysm... The Edge, or Ted Nugent?

Are you saying that Bono is not a complete douche but only a partial douche?

Bono is about the most humble and hilarious people I've had the good fortune of connecting with. People forget that his whole schtick is being a parody of himself. Go back and watch U2 at Live Aid, and you'll see a 20 something kid who is scared shitless and in awe of his surroundings.

He's always been passionate, but that larger than life "Rock Star" Bono is him making fun of himself because he still can't believe how ridiculous it is that he achieved such fame.

Last edited:
Back