That Seedy Table In The Dark Corner Where The Reprobates Gather

Status
Not open for further replies.
No... no... maybe if it was like you said sometimes, it would be nice. But I get followed all the time.
My online use is even monitored by Hells Angels.
If I got it together to visit George Gruhn in Nashville, picking up on his invitation, I'd try to visit you.
Whew! I got my name-dropping out of the way early today. American name dropping, that is.

For all your posting, Elias Graves, I really don't have a sense of where you're at on guitar.
Not that either of us should be easily understood. I got a story.

I fell asleep after supper last night and woke up around eleven, so I went for a walk.
As I was going past The Rex Hotel, three young guys and three girls were grouped on the sidewalk,
looking like skaterbois and punk kitties, and one guy said to me "Looking good". I didn't think he knew me,
but I said "I'm not sure where you're coming from, but when I was playing in bands in the eighties I was offered a gig as a male stripper".
He said "cool, can I have a hug?" I thought to myself, "sure, as soon as I do your friends will beat me", but I said sure.
Sure enough, he came up to me and gave me a hug, saying "you're not hugging me back",
so I said "okay, I'll even hug your backpack". They all seemed happy about this, and we waved goodbye.

Down the block, a bicycle builder I know rode by and came back, talking about moving and catching up to me,
describing an altercation with a girlfriend, saying I should go visit her and get her off his back. I said I was going to play pool.
He's got a metal plate in his skull from being knocked down on the sidewalk by an ex-Olympic boxer who's in jail on other charges,
so he wanted to avoid any physical confrontation.

Going to a bar that doesn't have any real night business, where I get the clicker for the big screen and play pool, buying a can of pop,
some woman walked in, looking like a lost streetwalker from a street that doesn't exist here,
and the next thing you know she's rubbing up against me, putting my arms around her and my toque on her head.
She started dancing, asking the bartender if I'm cool, and he just gave me a look and said to her, "oh yeah".
After a while she noticed she wasn't catching any heat back from me and gave up, but I bought her a shot.
She showed me lot, and I didn't want her sense of self to be diminished, at least by me.

I didn't sleep when I got back to my apartment. I listened with my new c.d. player, gave up on the radio for Jimi,
and was outside downtown with my guitar before the sun came up.
I got a few requests, caught some Smarties, a pop, and turned down breakfast. I turned in the bank card I found on the sidewalk,
and played outside the bank for a while. A huge, and I'm six feet, very dark man with only one arm came up to me, looking at me,
and asked if I knew any Michael Jackson. I yelped real high, oohed a little, and said I'm sorry, but I turn the radio off when he comes on,
and he laughed. Then he asked if I knew any gospel, we got talking, and I shook his only hand.

There. So who cares about a story you can follow? I do it all for style, all for style, and I'm not going out of style, out of style, stylin', stylin'....
out of sight, out of sight, playing and singing a new song I wrote, until I get it right.
 
Last edited:
Where I'm at on guitar? I plug my Junior into a Champ and make up simpleton three chord riffs for my songs. It's all about the timing. You can play the simplest riffs in the world with timing patterns that make people wonder if that's a real time signature and they think I'm better than I am.
But my music is about people and stories and words. The music is there to set a mood. I'm a storyteller not a guitarist. More Mark Twain than Jimmy Page. Words are fun. You can make them do funny things if you try.

Cuz it was I-35, on to New Orleans
Gonna get me some gumbo and a cajun queen
Lotsa pretty girls dancin all night long
So I tuned my guitar I'm gonna sing em a song
A bottle of bourbon and a bottle of rye
Four AM you know I wanted to die
Now when I woke up the situation was grave
In the arms of a lady who needed a shave
I said "Whoa!"
And I kept movin on down the road

I got the Oklahoma state line blues
Been runnin around, man tryin to find me a clue
I got the Oklahoma state line blues
It's a big ole world I go anywhere I choose

EG
 
And when I'm running far from those straight lines,
piling along some long Oklahoma state drive,
what's stuck on my bumper is where I'm at for you,
and when I stomp the stomp box I'll be pushing through.

Talking about simple riffs, I was listening with my new c.d. player,
and it just reminded me how simple some of Jimi's riffs were, even if the overdubs sounded symphonic.
He knew how to set up an amp to get clean, or ballsy tones, where hitting it harder got into crunch, even some raunch.
 
So, pretty much just had a heart attack (not a real one). I go to track the guitar that's supposed to be coming today, and it showed that it was delivered at 9 am, left at the door. I live in a kind of sketchy neighborhood. And by "kind of," I'm being nice (to the neighborhood). Anyway, so my wife rolls in at 12:30, calls, and tells me it's not there. Knocks on the neighbor's door, who we hardly, know, but they're not there. I'm at lunch with a group of people, and I start freaking the hell out. Get back to the office, track it again, and it's still on the truck. I guess the computer autofilled the tracking line from the last time I was at that site, but I just didn't notice or look at the date (which said delivered on 4/10 :) ). I about shit myself, but not quite.
 
I can always count on ya Marc. :thu:

:helper:

You know it.

So, pretty much just had a heart attack (not a real one). I go to track the guitar that's supposed to be coming today, and it showed that it was delivered at 9 am, left at the door. I live in a kind of sketchy neighborhood. And by "kind of," I'm being nice (to the neighborhood). Anyway, so my wife rolls in at 12:30, calls, and tells me it's not there. Knocks on the neighbor's door, who we hardly, know, but they're not there. I'm at lunch with a group of people, and I start freaking the hell out. Get back to the office, track it again, and it's still on the truck. I guess the computer autofilled the tracking line from the last time I was at that site, but I just didn't notice or look at the date (which said delivered on 4/10 :) ). I about shit myself, but not quite.

Whew! Glad this wasn't a sad story.
 
Yeah. I never met the guy, but I remember my mom freaking out about it way back when. Read the whole story if you ever get a chance. Totally bizarre.
The preacher's son served a term or two in the Oklahoma senate and is now a producer in Hollywood. He recently made a movie about the experience. Even visited Ake in prison and they made peace with one another.

Don't do drugs, kids!


In other news, John Watt bant? I even had an almost coherent conversation with him today.

EG
 
My wife's class took field trip to a traveling Vietnam Wall that is set up in a field at the local Y. I took these with my little Canon SD.

1.jpg


2.jpg


3.jpg


4.jpg


5.jpg


6.jpg


7.jpg


8.jpg


9.jpg


10.jpg
 
Yeah, I liked his weirdness, but I respect Mark's decision. He's got a business to run and he needs to do what's best for him and his family.
 
That's neat Marc. That's cool that there's a traveling Wall. The cheap one we got here just stays in the same damn place all the time. :wink:

In all serious, maybe one of the most moving memorials, if not the most, ever created. And conceived by a young Vietnamese girl, IIRC.
 
Yeah, I liked his weirdness, but I respect Mark's decision. He's got a business to run and he needs to do what's best for him and his family.

Yeah, I had no idea his antics drove people away.
I can see serious music biz types not having time for shenanigans. Doing it here is one thing, but even I will tuck my shirt in when I go to meetings.

EG
 
Sup greaser?

EG

You can't win. You know that, don't you? It doesn't matter if you whip us, you'll still be where you were before, at the bottom. And we'll still be the lucky ones at the top with all the breaks. It doesn't matter. Greasers will still be Greasers and Socs will still be Socs. It doesn't matter.


I'm a greaser, I am a JD and a hood. I blacken the name of our fair city. I beat up people. I rob gas stations. I am a menace to society. Man do I have fun!
 
Nice shots, Mark. What a powerful experience that is. Quite profound and humbling in every way.

EG

That's neat Marc. That's cool that there's a traveling Wall. The cheap one we got here just stays in the same damn place all the time. :wink:

In all serious, maybe one of the most moving memorials, if not the most, ever created. And conceived by a young Vietnamese girl, IIRC.

When I look at it, I just have a great sense of loss and waste. It makes me think of all the hidden agendas out there, that are carried on the backs of people without wealth, for the people with so many riches, they no longer even understand the value of a life. I don't mean to sound un-patriotic. I love my country and want the best for the people that serve it. I very much do not trust the reasons that they are sent into harm's way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top