Technique is in the Brain and Ears

mosiddiqi

The Curry Master
Staff member
I saw this originally at the LL, but thought it worth reposting here. It's fascinating I think, and I certainly know from my experience, that if I can hear it..I can play it..whatever it is.

I highly recommend all the Hal Galper Vids..plenty of food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have time to watch the videos right now but I agree. If I can't hear the music in my minds ear properly and envision the movement in my minds eye I can't pull an idea off...

After I watched the video I realized that I had seen it before, maybe a year ago. It actually makes much more sense to me now....

After I watched the video I realized that I had seen it before, maybe a year ago. It actually makes much more sense to me now....

Me too! When I first saw it I thought it was interesting, but it really connects with me now..my playing has progressed, hopefully improved!...and "hearing it" is crucial for me now.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

it's a really good point. unfortunately as guitarists, we tend to follow too many patterns and focus on those instead of listening to what we're playing and working on ear training.

I actually thought the most interesting point he made was that repetition exercises were a waste of time for adults...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I saw this originally at the LL, but thought it worth reposting here. It's fascinating I think, and I certainly know from my experience, that if I can hear it..I can play it..whatever it is.

It is really how I play. I was and still lazy when it comes to learning solos or licks of other players but I do like to hear what I play. It doesn't always work as I still continuously work on my brain to hand to fingers coordination. What it is that doesn't always work is that my technique on a style is one primitive stage - my example is bluegrass type licks or Albert Lee stuff. Working on it though, gotta hear it, then remember it, then muscle memory and finally duplicating it on command.

I have to say that I've watched this video about 10 times in the last few weeks with my students and the more I think and talk about it the more it's affected my playing.

I think this might also mean something for the Shred vs Flog arguement..:embarrassed:. One guy can hear an EVH lick as "wheedley, wheedley" and think it's nonsense..and another guy HEARS every single note and thinks it's great..if your ears/brain can't process what you're listening to..it's unlikely to connect with you I'd guess..:shrug:..not that "fast ears" are better than "slow ears" as such....just different.

Back