TC Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX

bsman

b00b
http://www.tc-helicon.com/products/voicelive-play-gtx/

Anybody ever checked one of these out? Right now I am crammed into the living room (eight guitars, four amps, etc....) because my son is currently (well -- for the past three years) crashing in what should be my music room, and I wonder if this thing would make sense for me. It's currently on sale at Hello Music for $275, and I like the idea that it's a one-stop solution for both vocal and guitar processing. I'm thinking that perhaps if I had this and one amp I could get all the rest of the gear into storage and make my wife a LOT happier!

I'm going to move this temporarily to the lounge since I think a couple of folks might have missed it who own one f these or something similar.

:thu:

I'll leave it in here for a day or two. Bainmun and Micwalt are probably the ones with the most knowledge about this.

I had the Play-GTX for a few days... I didn't care for the guitar sounds, and got frustrated scrolling through all the stupid menus trying to tweak it. (to be fair, I have similar criticisms of most multi effects units and modellers. I want to turn a knob and see a light go on and off... I hate paging through countless menus, tweaking settings and saving patches. And it sucks worse live).

However...

... the harmony worked well.

I had also tried the Digitech harmony pedal and that worked well too, but the software started glitching out on me... the guitar sound would go in and out without dicking with the knobs.

I ended up with THIS unit (TC Harmony G-XT) and absolutely LOVE it.

VTHarmonyGXT-xlarge.jpg

The only thing it does to the guitar sound is effects if you run guitar and vocal both through and out the same output (controllable with the guitar level knob). Live, I usually turn the guitar off and use the tuner out from my preamp to control the key of the harmony, and only run the vocals through it. Simply amazing... tracks better than the Digitech (that would sometimes freak out and do glitchy harmonies) and I love being able to easily toggle between 2 part or 3 part harmony (that's the two settings I use... Some people use thickening or doubling... and then harmony). Great unit. :baimun:

1600-VTHarmonyGXT_detail3.jpg

I have a different one--didn't really bond with it.
Probably selling it soon.

Micwalt has the digitech Vocalist 3... I tried that one for a week or so as well. it's laid out with knobs like the one I posted above, but it's not the TC harmonies. I noticed way better tracking and musical harmony with the TC model I now own.

One more thing... my only complaint with the TC G-XT was that all the LEDs were red. Out of the corner of my eye, I had a hard time telling when it was on and off without backing off the mic and looking right at it...

pedalboard.jpg

So I took a toggle selector from an LP, cut it down to a strip, and used heavy duty double stick to make a "frame" for the light. I emailed TC and recommended that the ON/OFF LED be a different color than the rest of them.

Thanks for the input! I had been considering the Harmony G-XT initially but then saw this one (the GTX) and figured it had a lot more capabilities, but since I'm not a big knob-twiddler I think you've convinced me that the smaller unit makes more sense.

Back