Sum up your opinion on Nick Lowe’s musical contributions in two sentences or less

He's a hugely underrated writer and a rare voice of compassion and humor in rock music. And he's made the transition from young & scrappy to classy, esteemed elder statesman better than almost anyone else out there.
 
Last edited:
As the sun stares backwards through it's own shadow, a darkness passes through us all. Also, Nick Lowe writes really good songs.
 
After 47 years on this alleged planet, I have yet to formulate any kind of opinion on Nick Lowe's musical contributions. Did I miss anything?
 
He's no Joe Jackson or Graham Parker, but he's in the ballpark. In the top 10 new wave-ish singer songwriters.
 
He's no Joe Jackson or Graham Parker, but he's in the ballpark. In the top 10 new wave-ish singer songwriters.
Joe is certainly the superior musician and in that sense maybe there's more sophistication. Graham's great but I'd rank him a notch below Nick—killer writer but maybe not quite the same innate knack for pop sensibility/commercial accessibility.

But all three have been startlingly consistent in their output. Pick up an album from any of them and you'll always be assured of a certain standard of quality.
 
Graham Parker's The Real Macaw is a true masterpiece; that album holds up against any. And I don't know how you argue against "Discovering Japan."

Friend did a couple sessions with Nick, said it was a high point of that year for him.

Great to see the nefariously named "pub rock" genre get it's due. Can I get any love for Brinsley Schwarz and/or Rockpile?


 
I didn't mean to suggest I don't dig Graham. The Mona Lisa's Sister, Howlin' Wind, and Your Country all get regular play around the Dmn household.
 
Back
Top