RIP Arte Johnson

Tig

Fucktangular
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/arts/television/arte-johnson-dead.html

arte-johnson.jpg

artejohnson01.jpg

Between this and the demise of Mad Magazine, I feel like the nation is symbolically bidding goodbye to it's sweet but smart eccentric comedy.

Between this and the demise of Mad Magazine, I feel like the nation is symbolically bidding goodbye to it's sweet but smart eccentric comedy.
I think part of that has to do with the "that's offensive" mentality. Comedy, and particularly satire, often tends to poke fun at folks. Those being poked get "outraged" easier nowadays, which makes the range of safe material much smaller.

I didn't realize Mad Magazine was gone. We used to love it as kids.

I think part of that has to do with the "that's offensive" mentality. Comedy, and particularly satire, often tends to poke fun at folks. Those being poked get "outraged" easier nowadays, which makes the range of safe material much smaller.

I agree to a point... Depends on who the audience is. Jeff Dunham's characters are pure stereotype. And the guy makes some serious cash. He can be safe with white folks and maddening with Arabs. The point is, that everyone needs to be politically correct and sensitive.
36761782_1859922144313019_8507964222032838656_n.jpg

:beer:

I agree to a point... Depends on who the audience is. Jeff Dunham's characters are pure stereotype. And the guy makes some serious cash. He can be safe with white folks and maddening with Arabs. The point is, that everyone needs to be politically correct and sensitive. View attachment 49074

:beer:
I work with a bunch of Yemeni guys. One of them wears an Achmed the Dead Terrorist t-shirt. He thinks the skit is hilarious. I'm sure a few of the others probably think it's offensive though.

Reactions: Tig
Comedy is as biting as it ever was. It’s just that now, people get called out for punching down, and people who like punch down humour never had much of a sense of humour to begin with, so of course they’re not going to enjoy being made fun of. So they pretend that we can’t joke any more.

Back