Restoring a cheap Strat, opinions required

335clone

Living the dream
So I have an old Squier Strat that has been in pieces for years. Probably should put it back together before I lose to many pieces. It has been stripped for paint. I did buy a nice tort guard for it, but never pulled the trigger on paint.

So, with a brown tort guard in mind, please advise me on the best color for the body, with appropriate pictures.

Oly white? Cream? Sonic/daphne/LP Blue? Something else?

I think I had oly white in mind when I bought the pickguard, but I could have been stoned when I ordered it. It happens.

Also, anyone know of a good place to pick up used Squire necks? Mine slammed the floor years ago and there are a number of dinged frets. Not worth refretting or trying to file those little frets down. Checked on reverb, and assholes are asking over $100 for bullet necks! WTF? fuck stratosphere.

I don't know the proper names of guitar colors, but if a natural finish is out of the question, white and light blue look good with tort, but each one is definitely it's own mood. I really like black and tort, but that's a very specific taste.

Also, anyone know of a good place to pick up used Squire necks? Mine slammed the floor years ago and there are a number of dinged frets. Not worth refretting or trying to file those little frets down. Checked on reverb, and assholes are asking over $100 for bullet necks! WTF? fuck stratosphere.

Damn, Squier necks are pretty expensive from reverb & ebay.

Some kind of off white to creme, whatever it’s called looks best to me with tort and a rosewood fretboard.
Natural and tort is good too.

Idk, I can’t dig the blue shades with tort near as much. Probably just my bias towards more of a traditional look, but to me they clash big time.
Any official fender replacement neck should work. I have an Allparts on an old Bullet hardtsil body, worked fine.

Last edited:
Pictures, damnit! :bigg:

SMrHAT3qIiAua8l345aOT_utC7eirYsyCuMnkehFkgE.jpg

74960-e3af358467cd945ba49e27a717ba2bfb.jpg

With a tort pickguard I think you can paint it any color you like and it will look good.

Depends on the neck. My Warmoth order arrived yesterday (pics when I have time)...two-tone burst, rosewood fretboard, tort PG...too much brown. Might have looked sweet with the maple fretwork through.

Back