Regale us with tales of your local meat traditions

We have so many up here in New England. My dad told me that when he was in his 20's (1930's) he could go bird hunting on farms, and deer hunting too. He said that you always asked for permission, but you always got a free pass if you shared some meat with the property owner. But there's no local hunting anymore thanks to firearms laws and licenses. Go up into NH, Vermont and Maine and there's a shitload of wild game up there. Bear, moose, deer... even squirrel. I've eaten all of 'em. About the only thing we don't have up here are wild hogs.
As you might imagine seafood is huge up in these parts. One of my favorite things besides a big lobster is a simple fish fry. I should point out that I do not eat freshwater fish anymore. So it's a basic thing... the freshest white fish you can find. Coat in fry mix and let it sit while the oil comes up to temp. Cook.... then eat. And I can't pass up fried fresh shellfish... oh hell no. Greek style Calamari with lemon & hot relish. Fried clams and scallops.

Then there's all the ethnic food traditions... I still make my mom's old Polish and Lithuanian recipes a couple times a year. In the past 30 years Lowell's food scene has exploded like a volcano. A 15 minute walk can get me into the most authentic SE Asian food I've ever had. Cambodian... Laotian... Vietnamese....

The only thing Nashville does better than anyone else is Nashville Hot Chicken. If you like it spicy hot, it's awesome.

mPCNJo4h.jpg

While I truly appreciate the elegance and precision of a perfectly made tool, humankind may never again achieve the level of perfection that Hot Chicken represents in the field of sphincter-quivering fire-rhea.

Last edited:
Pit Beef! Im about an hour from Baltimore, so Im calling that local.

Sirloin roast cooked slowly over charcoal, then sliced down and made into sandwiches.

kinda halfway between Philly Cheesesteaks and southern BBQ, which makes sense when you consider where Baltimore is located.

Last edited:
Pit Beef! Im about an hour from Baltimore, so Im calling that local.

Sirloin roast cooked slowly over charcoal, then sliced down and made into sandwiches.

kinda halfway between Philly Cheesesteaks and southern BBQ, which makes sense when you consider where Baltimore is located.

I do the same thing on my WSM. I get a 4 inch thick or better hunk of sirloin top butt. It gets some rub, and a rest outside the fridge while the charcoal and wood heats up. Once the heat builds up a little, the smoke wood goes on and then the meat. I cook it to 140 and pull it out. While that is working I make sides, and one of them is usually a gravy made from scratch with mushroons, onions and a liberal splash of Buffalo Trace. DEElish.

Back