Regale us with tales of your local meat traditions

2manband

Kick Henry Jackassowski
maybe this is better for the food and drink forum, but here goes:

Spiedes (pronounced "speedys")....Chunks of chicken or lamb marinated for several days in oil and apple cider vinegar with lots of mint. skewered and grilled. Pulled off the skewer into a crusty fluffy slice of italian bread and eaten like a taco/gyro.

Native to northcentral PA and the NY finger lakes region

Last edited:
Salt Potatoes...the perfect partner for spiedes....
Baby potatoes boiled in a supersaturated solution of salty water. mashed skin-on and served with butter and sour cream. The finished product is not that salty, but super delicious.

Native to northern PA/ Southern NY.

This one is digging deep.....

Supey (soup-ey)

Ground pork, seasoned and stuffed into sausage casing. Cured in oil, and then pressed flat between 2 boards. Sliced thin.

Sold in coal country gas stations by off-season moonshiners.

Last edited:
Wikipedia claims that Coors Field sells Rocky Mountain oysters during baseball games. I’ve only ever had box seats so I’ve never had vendor food.

umm....we've offered spaghetti WITH steak in it .

and yes,....i know what "pittsburgh rare" is.

Pittsburgh rare is a meat tradition I can get behind.

So youve never had a waitress offer up spaghetti and red sauce in the same breath as like baked potato, french fries, and rice pilaf?

Oyster stuffing...A thanksgiving favorite.

Get about 100 oysters, a loaf of stale bread, a diced onion, and half a lb of melted butter.
mix with your hands until you cant tell whats what.
bake to a crispy golden brown..

Last edited:
btw.....pork loin roast with saur kraut and potatoes was a staple on new years day. for as long as i can remember

and while we're on the subject of western Pa.
what has happened to the ANF is a g-d crime.
it's facking central.
you can't FIND a deer up there anymore.

Pittsburgh rare is a meat tradition I can get behind.

I like the concept of Pittsburgh rare but I prefer it with thiner stakes like sirloin or flatiron. I did a porterhouse that way and it created an unpleasant texture as I chewed through the cooked outside and into the bleeding center. It disappointed the hell out of me because I’m a big fan of steak tartare.

The only thing Nashville does better than anyone else is Nashville Hot Chicken. If you like it spicy hot, it's awesome.

mPCNJo4h.jpg

Around here there's a lot of hunters. I've only been hunting once, but I'd guess that they find a majestic, yet delicious animal, blast it's brains out, leave the guts in the woods for the bears, take the good meat home, & put it in a giant freezer, give some away,. etc, then put the antlers over the garage door.

Back