Radio Shack to close 1,100 stores

.....That's on them for thinking it was ok to leave me with a chemistry set un-supervised.

Yep, I was lucky I didn't blow up anything of die from toxic fumes. I found that chunks of powdered chlorine made the chemicals do really cool shit! :facepalm:

granpa_herman_lab.jpg

In fairness, by the late 80s or so Radio Shack was more or less running out of customers. Kids in general weren't into tinkering with electronics opting instead to tinker with home computers. Ham and CB radio were pretty much dead as well. Tube TVs and stereos were no more, so they weren't selling tubes.

They tried moving with the market, but obviously they couldn't compete selling cell phones, toys and stereos, but they didn't have much choice.

I'm very surprised they've hung around as long as they have. My local Radio Shack still carries a surprisingly large number of hobby items - components, connectors, ICs, breadboards, cases, knobs, etc. They even sell Arduinos (very hackable small computer). And I live in the middle of nowhere.

I love Radio Shack, but every time I go in there I'm the only one there. Me and three sales guys.

Back