Dig it! NGD: Squier VM Telecaster Thinline (pic heavy)

Looks good! I’m impressed with the fret ends. It seems like nicely finished fret ends are becoming the norm in East Asian guitars—five years ago that was still mostly seen on high end stuff and some MIK brands.

Looks good! I’m impressed with the fret ends. It seems like nicely finished fret ends are becoming the norm in East Asian guitars—five years ago that was still mostly seen on high end stuff and some MIK brands.
Yeah, the fretwork on this guitar is darn near perfect (if it's not, I can't find where it isn't). The action is very low as well. So low in fact, that I raised it a touch to be more comfortable for me tastes. It's nice when there is room to spare on an adjustment like that.

How are the stock pickups on that, waggy dog?
Very nice. Certainly usable. The neck pu is nice and full, not muddy at all. Bridge pu is solid and digs in nicely with some dirt. I'm still dialing 'em in.

EDIT: see below about the vol/tone pot mods.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Well, I've had it, what, one whole day? Time to mod!

Replaced the nut with the graphtec.

After playing it for a while, it just sounded kind of dark and I couldn't eq the amp to get enough treble. Opened it up and found the vol and tone pots are 250k - not typical for humbuckers (tone cap was .022uf, which is typical). Explains the dark tones. Had some 500k pots, one of which is a push/pull. The pickups have taps for splitting - done deal. The vol pot is an audio taper, but the tone pot I had wasn't. Vol pot works great, tone pot doesn't have a lot of range before it does its thing; will replace w/an audio taper next string change.

End result; much nicer sounding with the 500k pots - it sounds alive with that tele shing. Pickups sound GREAT as single coils. The neck especially. Really pleased with these changes.

Cool! Teles are the bomb, and I like that fact that it has a chunkier neck, than your Typical Squier has. Congrats!

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Well, I've had it, what, one whole day? Time to mod!

Replaced the nut with the graphtec.

After playing it for a while, it just sounded kind of dark and I couldn't eq the amp to get enough treble. Opened it up and found the vol and tone pots are 250k - not typical for humbuckers (tone cap was .022uf, which is typical). Explains the dark tones. Had some 500k pots, one of which is a push/pull. The pickups have taps for splitting - done deal. The vol pot is an audio taper, but the tone pot I had wasn't. Vol pot works great, tone pot doesn't have a lot of range before it does its thing; will replace w/an audio taper next string change.

End result; much nicer sounding with the 500k pots - it sounds alive with that tele shing. Pickups sound GREAT as single coils. The neck especially. Really pleased with these changes.
That's one thing that drives me nuts about all the new versions of these guitars. Didn't the original '70s versions come with 1Meg pots?

That's one thing that drives me nuts about all the new versions of these guitars. Didn't the original '70s versions come with 1Meg pots?
I believe they did come w/1 meg pots, but those were original WRHB pickups, these are copies without the original magnets.

I don't know why they put 250k pots in humbucker equipped guitars - it was very dark sounding.

Tonight I swapped out the linear tone pot for an audio taper. Sounds great, only problem is the one I put in there has a problem at the far end where it just goes open. So it goes from DARK to BRIGHT. That's what I get for pulling a pot from the parts closet.

Ordered a new pot off ebay and a CRL 3-way switch (the stock switch is soooo cheap feeling).

I think so. I used 500k in the last two I've done with Arcane Wideranges and I can't imagine needing them brighter than that.

Back