Marshall MG30DFX

How bout one of the epiphones. Like the blues 30 or whatever it is called. I heard a guy in BB Kings in Nashville tearing it up on one of those. It sounded killer. AOK

There is an MG50 w/ 12 inch speaker but those are around 400. so is saving another 180 bucks worth it IF I decided to get an MG?

Tube amps are THE sound that solid state are attempting to emulate. The warmth and depth of tone that comes from a tube amp simply cannot be copied in a transistor. That being said, there are very, very good sounding SS amps. But generally they are not in the lower tier price wise. I had a Yamaha DG-60 amp (solid state) that sounded really nice. Nice enough that Alan Holdsworth toured with the head version of the amp for years, and Mike Stern used them live as well. Another amp I never should have sold. But that being said, on average a tube amp will give you better tone, and a few good pedals combined with using the guitars versatility (different pickups, volume & tone controls) together with a tube amp will get you all the tones you will ever need....

Worth the extra money?

I would say yes, but in all seriousness there are tube amps priced from $150.00 (or less) and up, so they really are not that much more money. The best SS amps cost over a grand.....

Also note.

If you do choose Tube over SS, keep in mind that most musicians modify the hell out of their tube amps to get certain features / sound not built into stock units.

Swapped out resistors, added gain circuits, and trick pots are common in pretty much every heavily gigged musicians rig. So don't choose purely based on "Well Stevie played fender Tube heads"

But like anything you have to give it the "ear test" in a quiet place where you can really feel it out through it's paces.

Anyone who wants to sell you an amplifer, tube or SS is going to let you take a dry run at it. Be sure to also take along your favorite pedal or two, and a couple cables so you can try different combinations or effects, clean etc.

The real question is that $450 middle of the road Tube Combo better than the $300 Line VI or Marshall or (insert brand name SS amp here.)....That will be up to you.

But I really looked at it like this when I bought my tube combo. Literally every piece of music I am in love with, was recorded in a studio, with a vintage tube amplifier and almost all of it, to magnetic tape, and THEN digitized.

So as far as being true to the original signal, keep it analog. Keep it tube.

And that's the way the cookie crumbles....

Back