Marshall MG30DFX

Jake S.

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Tried it out yesterday and really liked it. I think Hobo suggested it in another thread. It's a ten inch speaker and 30 watts so I dunno if that will be enough. I might have to either get a bigger amp or have a mic for it. The overdrive sound is pretty meh but I have two great DPs so I don't care about that. Great price. Found it at Jim's Music for only 217 bucks. Might get it. Anyone with experience with one of these and is their another amp that you really like?

Try your pedals with it before you buy it. Let me repeat that. TRY YOUR PEDALS WITH IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

Fosho.

I'm gonna bring in all my gear as soon as I get paid including my guitar and pedals.

DO they have a version with a 12" speaker? You should try that before your buy if they do...

markwein said:
DO they have a version with a 12" speaker? You should try that before your buy if they do...

+1, but if it sounds good with the pedals, then the lack of balls the 10" prolly has can certainly be made up for by a PA/EQ.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd go with a solid state 30 watter with a 10 inch speaker if you're wanting to start playing in a band.

Have you thought about a Crate V series. I've heard really good things about them, and they're dirt cheap. This one is 50 tube watts which is way more than you'd really need.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

And this one is a 212 with 18 watts. It's probably more in line with the wattage you need, but I like the features of the 50 watter more. But, since you have OD pedals, the single channel 18 watter would probably be fine for you.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V18212-18W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487055

If it works it works smi

I just like 12"s for rock a little better myself..thats why I am selling all of my 10" cabs right now...so if you need a 10" extension cab, Jake you know where to look! biggrin

12" is always better for rock, especially live. Moving air makes a difference. However, 10" , especially miced, is just fine. I wouldnt even be looking at the Marshall if I was Jake, but, I am not, so if the marshall sounds good to him.... idn_smilie

I'm just thinking that if you're rehearsing in somebody's garage and you're a teenager, you're probably not gonna have much PA available for rehearsals. I don't think the MG would get up over a drummer without some support. It might, but it would be pushing it pretty hard.

That's not even taking into account the speaker size. It doesn't matter much if it's a 10 or a 12 inch speaker if the amp isn't loud enough to be heard over a drummer.

Prages said:
I'm just thinking that if you're rehearsing in somebody's garage and you're a teenager, you're probably not gonna have much PA available for rehearsals. I don't think the MG would get up over a drummer without some support. It might, but it would be pushing it pretty hard.

That's not even taking into account the speaker size. It doesn't matter much if it's a 10 or a 12 inch speaker if the amp isn't loud enough to be heard over a drummer.

I thought this was mainly for gigging. Sorry, I may be a little confused since I havent been around much. Though even if it is, yeah, you're correct obviously, he is still gonna need it to practice ina garage/basement. Very true.

That being the case, I can give you this little anecdote. We used to practice in our old drummer's basement, and I had an 80 watt SS Mosvalve "head" (was a rackmount unit) and a 4x10 cab. It wasnt quite loud enough to keep up with the drummer down there. So, yeah, the wattage may be a problem for garage/basement practices. I definitewly agree with Prages there.

However, a PA changes everything, so....I dunno. I think I need more info on exactly what you're gonna be using it for before I give another opinion. :embarrassed:

I played the half stack version of that amp and like it. Have you looked into tube amp combos you can find cheap used fender blues jr in that price range and they work great with pedals. If u are buying Marshall just for cleans you have to try fenders. Also peavey makes great combo tube amp with nice clean and dirty Chanel make sure u try these before you buy I think u will be surprised

Lovac said:
I played the half stack version of that amp and like it. Have you looked into tube amp combos you can find cheap used fender blues jr in that price range and they work great with pedals.  If u are buying Marshall just for cleans you have to try fenders. Also peavey makes great combo tube amp with nice clean and dirty Chanel make sure u try these before you buy I think u will be surprised

+1 Peavey makes some great stuff. Of course, I may be biased.

acesstable2-1.jpg

cop0 Seriously though, you should try them out, especially for the price.

I love the Peavey Classic series amps. I've got a 30 and a 50 myself. Either makes a great, portable, great sounding gigging rig.

Though, unless you buy used, they are both well over the $220 of the Marshall MG, but they are both well worth the price.

Prages said:
I love the Peavey Classic series amps. I've got a 30 and a 50 myself. Either makes a great, portable, great sounding gigging rig.

Though, unless you buy used, they are both well over the $220 of the Marshall MG, but they are both well worth the price.

IMO Peavey is the most affordable "pro" amp manufacturer. I guess I dont really count Crate or H&K for some reason, though I have heard both sound good. Just always seems to me like for a great amp it is either a Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Fender, or Peavey, and Peavey is the most affordable out of any of those. Sure, other amps can sound fantastic, but in my mind those are the 4 professional "go to" brands and if someone is going to continue to play seriously, they will eventually end up with one or more of those, and/or go into boutique territory.

Concentrate on getting an amp with a great clean tone. In a non-tube amp a 10" will just not cut it. I used to have a Dr Z Route 66 combo that had twin 10's, but it was tube and louder than blazes (and heavy too - which is why it got sold).

Plus in that price range you can generally find a Peavey Classic 20, which also has a 10" speaker but is all tube and should be loud enough for most gigs.
They generally sell on ebay for around $250.00, and I have seen them for less on Craigslist. Heck - I've seen Classic 30's on craigslist for less than $300.00.

I paid $200 for my Classic 30 and $350 for my Classic 50.

GC was blowing out Classic 30s for $299 new last Christmas and Classic 50 212s for $399 new.

I wouldn't buy the mg30. Save your pennies and get something a little better. If you can find a cab, I have a 100 watt vavletronix head with footswitch that we can work out a deal on. It sounds good, but I'm old and I think amps should get hot, glow, and require maintenance. biggrin

The peavey's from all accounts have excellent cleans, and actually a usable lead channel and will play nice with pedals.

(just regurgitating information i have heard and read)

Plus, I have a C50 and it's loud enough to bring on John Law. If you're playing gig's big enough to need more than 50 Watts of Tube power, you probably wouldn't be talking to anyone on this board anyway.

Eminence_Front said:
Plus, I have a C50 and it's loud enough to bring on John Law. If you're playing gig's big enough to need more than 50 Watts of Tube power, you probably wouldn't be talking to anyone on this board anyway.

I'm playing gigs with a Fender DRRI, and at 22 watts I generally have the amp volume at '3'. I know plenty of people who gigged regularly with a old Fender Princeton (15 watts) mic'ed and never had 'lack of' volume issues.

denverdave said:
Eminence_Front said:

I'm playing gigs with a Fender DRRI, and at 22 watts I generally have the amp volume at '3'. I know plenty of people who gigged regularly with a old Fender Princeton (15 watts) mic'ed and never had 'lack of' volume issues.

Yah i have DRRI and at 5 i get the windows sheker effect in my house. biggrin and with dsl 50 at 2. Tube power is not to be understimated a 20 watt amp has lots of power.

Back