Jelloman's Double Parts-caster build thread...

Has he given you any indication on the hold up...like out of stock or anything? I had a pickguard arrive with a bend and after sending him a photo of it and the shipping box, he dispatched a replacement at no cost the very next day.

I don't believe there is a delay...just waiting for the order to ship and arrive...I'm not being very patient...
 
**BUMP**

...drinking beer...more important than working on guitars?

:shrug:

redhook+esb+hilite+500s.jpg
 
AND...it's saturday...time to get back to work...:thu:

Assembling the tele follows the same steps as the strat...install the tuners...
001-3.jpg

...It seems I mis-read the GFS description of their conversion bushings...they're sized for the GFS vintage tuners, NOT the Fender F-type...my fault, not theirs...
But I kinda like the vintage vibe they put out...and they seem to be of a good quality, especially for the price...
002-4.jpg


Installing the bridge, without the pickup came next...
003-4.jpg

...as well as the ferrules on the back...

...joining the neck and body was exactly the same process as the strat done earlier, so I see no need to describe it again...

Because of the design of a tele, it's necessary to install the pickup and the bridge together...
004-3.jpg

...as well as the ground strap, which is placed under the bridge same as the strat...

...I also installed the pickguard and neck pickup...
005-2.jpg

...running the wires into the control cavity...

Next step will be to assemble the contol plate and solder everything up...I'm probably going to take the tele all the way to completion and then get back to the strat...



:Wave:
 
Last edited:
OK...time to face the music...:rolleyes:

...because it IS my intention for this thread to be somewhat instructional it is necessary for me to demonstrate one of the most important decisions you can make when doing this kind of project...WHEN TO WALK AWAY!

After getting ecerything prepped for wiring I moved into my studio and set up my soldering station, then set to work...first I needed to install the pots and switch onto the control plate when problem 1 arose...the holes on the control plate were not sized correctly for the pots and needed to be drilled ot...SO back into the workshop and a 3/8"drill bit...no problem so far...installed the switch and pots and set to soldering...that's when problem 2 happened...I soldered the switch in backwards and had to remove and re-solder the pickup wires when an excess lump of solder ran into the switch workings, shorting it out...it was necessary to use the Iron, a knife ,and a dental pick to dig it out...
001-4.jpg

...that switch is practically destroyed...

Once I had overcome that little problem I went to install the output jack and cup when problem 3 reared it's ugly little head...the hole for the jack cup was not big enough...back to the shop again...unfortunately I didn't have a bit that was sized correctly and was forced to work a spade bit into the hole, and I tore that hole all up...but the cup IS installed...
005-3.jpg


So now I was able to screw the control plate in position and install the knobs...problem 4...the knobs I have are wrong for solid-shaft pots...a fact I learned after I tried to press the tone knob on and blew the pot apart... I was able to re-assemble it and press it back in place...but...
002-5.jpg

...it ain't gonna last long...

..all during this process, amazingly enough, I was checking the wiring and still had output to the amp so I pressed on...

It was time to string it and set it up...needed to install the string retainer so back into the shop...drilled out a hole and screwed the retainer down AND THE SCREW BROKE...had to drill the broken screw out and substitute a larger wood screw, which of course necessitated enlarging the hole in the retainer...it's amazing how HOT a little thing like that can get...I burned the tip of my index finger quite badly on it...but it IS installed...
004-4.jpg


Now it's time to set it up, which is sometimes a long, drwan out process, and this sucker is fighting me tooth fang and claw...probably because it's PISSED about this...
006-2.jpg

...maybe the oil finish wasn't one of my better ideas...it may be too soft...:shrug:

ANYWAY...the lesson to be learned is this...when things start to go wrong it's best to walk away and come back fresh later...rather than press on and start stacking mistakes on top of one another, and possibly ruining an otherwise rewarding experience and useful project...

Later, my friends...
 
but you know...even with all of the problems and screw-ups...I think it turned out kinda OK...
007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-2.jpg


here's a breakdown of the parts used and costs...
Body - Red Dirt Guitar Works via eBay...41.00
Neck - MightMite via eBay...89.00
Pickups - GFS Alnico Fatbody Bridge Pickup...34.95
GFS Vintage Split Humbucker Neck Pickup...29.95
Bridge - GFS Wilkinson Compensated W/Brass Saddles...29.95
Pickguard - GFS B/W/B HB...17.95
Control Plate - GFS Vintage Chrome - 9.95
Tuners - GFS Vintage Fender...21.95
Switch - GFS 3-way - 6.95
Pots - CTS 250K Solid Shaft...12.00
Jack - GFS Vintage Chrome...5.95
Neck Plate - GFS Ultra Thick Chrome...7.95
Retainer - GFS Vintage Circular...3.95
Ferrules - GFS Vintage Spec...5.95
Strap Buttons - Schaller Strap Lock...4.00

and...just for kicks...and "art" shot...
011-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
I think you did good. I do like naturals, so I love this one. The black pickguard against the lighter tone natural wood works really well I think.
 
I think you did good. I do like naturals, so I love this one. The black pickguard against the lighter tone natural wood works really well I think.

THANKS woody...I appreciate that...

...and I agree about the pickguard...the strat gets a black one as well...although I wish i could afford to go woth tort...
 
It looks awesome. I'm glad you wrote up the problems you ran into...when I am mid-project and have painted myself into a corner I usually find what I need to bail myself out in posts like that. Actually did that yesterday running the power for my booster pedal...
 
It looks awesome. I'm glad you wrote up the problems you ran into...when I am mid-project and have painted myself into a corner I usually find what I need to bail myself out in posts like that. Actually did that yesterday running the power for my booster pedal...

Thanks Mark...the solution for me is quite obvious...I'm putting in an Allparts order for new pots and a switch...as well as 2 mini tone pots for the strat, as I test fit the pickguard and discovered that the full size pots I was gonna use are not allowing the pickguard to sit correctly and throwing off the pickup alignment...

...it's been a challenge, but luckily my mistakes have been relatively inexpensive...
 
Back
Top