Inexpensive studio monitors that don't suck?

I like yamaha everything.

Me too. Don't think you can go much wrong with anything from them (already have an acoustic, bass, drum kit and hifi from them). :thu:

Been using Yorkville monitors for about 10 years myself though, may go Yamaha next time I need new monitors.

Interesting that the Tannoys sounded bad. That has to be a first. I wonder what that spells for the future of the company. I have a pair from the 80's that still hold their own.

No idea though, what changes have happened with the company in recent years, but now I'm hoping Howie doesn't tell me that Gibson bought them...

That would be tragic.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Interesting that the Tannoys sounded bad. That has to be a first. I wonder what that spells for the future of the company. I have a pair from the 80's that still hold their own.

No idea though, what changes have happened with the company in recent years, but now I'm hoping Howie doesn't tell me that Gibson bought them...

That would be tragic.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
They are pretty inexpensive monitors so maybe it's just about the price point. I haven't watched the Pete Thorn video on the other monitors.

The best part is that I got back to work and my Event speakers are working again :facepalm:

They are pretty inexpensive monitors so maybe it's just about the price point. I haven't watched the Pete Thorn video on the other monitors.

The best part is that I got back to work and my Event speakers are working again :facepalm:

Studio monitors are weird though. They're not really supposed to sound good either (anyone who's ever mixed on NS10s know this) - more about learning your monitors in the particular room you're using them in. Just throwing this on for the more inexperienced crowd. :wink:

You really don't want the more "hifi" sounding speakers, as they won't give a true picture of what's in there. Hence why I'd never buy the Mackies and similar brands.

Studio monitors are weird though. They're not really supposed to sound good either (anyone who's ever mixed on NS10s know this) - more about learning your monitors in the particular room you're using them in. Just throwing this on for the more inexperienced crowd. :wink:

You really don't want the more "hifi" sounding speakers, as they won't give a true picture of what's in there. Hence why I'd never buy the Mackies and similar brands.
I just don't want anything that is really hyped in the low end or unnatural sounding. The Yamahas seems to be the most "natural" if lacking in low end a bit. it was nice to have my own album that I was familiar with to run through each set of speakers.

I just don't want anything that is really hyped in the low end or unnatural sounding. The Yamahas seems to be the most "natural" if lacking in low end a bit. it was nice to have my own album that I was familiar with to run through each set of speakers.

Yep, Yamaha's are known being quite natural sounding (NS :wink:).

Thing is it's hard to tell how speakers sound in any given room. Most cases you'd have to get a pair and try them out and return them if they don't "do it".

Back