Inexpensive studio monitors that don't suck?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Any suggestions? Both of my sets of Event speakers have taken a dirt nap this week and I need something for my office.

:annoyed:

To be honest, mine are an older model. So not sure. But I am really impressed for what i got for the money. If i had to buy more, that's where I'd look first.

To be honest, mine are an older model. So not sure. But I am really impressed for what i got for the money. If i had to buy more, that's where I'd look first.
I don't really want to spend a ton of money since I'm not really doing any real recording through them and my PA speakers also need replacing :facepalm:

okay, osmeone explain these monitors to me...
I read the ads and still don't get it.

I can't plug them into my "speaker out" on the pc, right?

so I need a board for that?
is that right?

if so, it just sounds like one more thing getting in the way of the sound...and more money to spend on something that doesn't earn it back

like, on my recording PC, I use that Hannah Montana thing for sound output
I set things based on how a particular album should sound.
I use Motorhead as a default as I know it well. and works with the majority of stuff I do.
if the Motorhead album sounds good (like I know it should), then I figure it's good enough for me

is this wrong?

I know you aren't a Carvin fan,but I have heard they make decent audio equipment.

I'm still using my 10 year old Event TR8s. I hope they keep on lasting because I like them a lot, and I have no idea what is on the market nowadays.

I'm hearing REALLY good things about the new Tannoy 402a monitors... Pete Thorn did a brief video about them and the initial responses at Gearslutz have been positive. They were announced at Winter NAMM and are hitting stores now. Looks like a pair comes in just under $300.

The Tannoy 502's are on sale this weekend (today - sunday) at GC for $149 ea.

You CAN NOT go wrong with a Tannoy.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

ARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!! :annoyed: SOMEONE BUY MY SHIT!

Fuck Samson! I can't get anyone around here to even work on them. I have their PA monitors, not studio monitors, though.

I tell you what...

I paid something like $600 for the pair of Event TR8s I have. It was a tough pill to swallow, but I've used the crap out of them for 10 years now.

Reactions: OGG

I tried the Tannoy 502's as well as a bunch of other speakers from Presonus, Yamaha, Mackie, KRK and JBL. The Tannoys sounded awful and very hyped with my album played through them. The worst were the Presonus. SHITSONUS. The Mackies and JBL's were not bad but not awesome. The winners were the Yamaha speakers I tried although they were a little more than I wanted to spend. When the salesguy at GC couldn't stay in the room long enough to hold a conversation with me or complete the sale with me I walked out without buying anything. :annoyed:

The Yamahas I almost bought were these: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS5-Po...cal-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1397766382&sr=1-1

I kinda wish they had a little more low end (I think the next size up is more of an NS-10 sized speaker and would have done the trick) but it had the flattest resonse and the music from my CD (especially the drums) sounded more like what I heard on El Borrachito's monitors in his studio.

I tell you what...

I paid something like $600 for the pair of Event TR8s I have. It was a tough pill to swallow, but I've used the crap out of them for 10 years now.

Those were great speakers. They didn't have any small ones for me to try at GC today. I got a lot of use from my two sets.

Back