I'm going to the vet's to get tutored!

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
Countdown to October 13th!

Who else has been snipped? Advice? Complications? Helpful tips?

tutored.gif

Have a urologist do it, not a general physician. Urologists keep up on the latest technique.
Go home after surgery and lay on couch with frozen peas on crotch.

Even if you feel fine afterwards, do NOT do anything for 24 hours other than laying on the couch or sleeping.

A friend of mine had it done. After the recovery horror story he told me, I will never have it done. I know his case was one in a million, but I never want to be that one. Plus my wife had her tubes tied when she was opened up for our second daughter's C-Section, so no need. Here's hoping you aren't the one :grin:

No matter what happens, no matter how you feel, no matter if everything seems great, you keep the ball sack sling ON for at least a week. I also suggest wearing the tightest underwear you have to make sure everything is snug and supported. Excessive movement post op is super painful and can cause significant complications.

Also, I second the advice of getting a urologist to do it.

Finally, go back for the post op test to be sure your sample is cell free. Something like 80 percent of men don't go back. Some small percentage of those are surprised fathers.

Also, driving a stick shift was unpleasant for a week or so afterwards, so keep that in mind.

Overall the procedure is a breeze. I think it took about 15 minutes. The post op pain was a bit unpleasant, but not that big of a deal. Again, support and stability is the key

It was a piece of cake.
Day surgery at the hospital. General anaesthetic. Walked out right after.
Sat on the couch with a bag of frozen peas for the afternoon.
Napped.
Kept things snug for a week or so.

It is an ugly bruise for a few weeks though.

Friend got snipped two months ago. He had it done on a Friday and expected to be back to work on Monday but he was out of commission for 5 days straight. I've always heard it's like a 24 hr recovery and you're up and about but not for him.

Also, driving a stick shift was unpleasant for a week or so afterwards, so keep that in mind.

Overall the procedure is a breeze. I think it took about 15 minutes. The post op pain was a bit unpleasant, but not that big of a deal. Again, support and stability is the key

They will tell you to buy a jock strap. Buy two so you don't have to be without it for a hour or two to wash and dry it. Any movement = unhappyness

Personally, I'd opt for a local anesthetic over general. General anesthesia leaves me in a fog for about a week afterwards, but then again, I'm an old guy, so you may bounce back sooner.

All this talk of frozen peas and ball slings makes me really not want to get snipped. :messedup:

I respect your decision though. Too many "oops" children in the world.

All this talk of frozen peas and ball slings makes me really not want to get snipped. :messedup:

I respect your decision though. Too many "oops" children in the world.

It's really no big deal. Honestly, mine was no worse than having a tooth filled - maybe not even as bad.

I did it a few years ago. I was getting back into the dating scene and wanted the question of having any more kids dealt with once and for all. I was way too old for that. Very simple and painless for the most part. Just follow the docs orders and do the follow up visits! I know guys who skipped those and as a result have more kids than planned.

I remember the doc told me to get a sample to the lab after a certain number of "emissions" to check for swimmers. I think it was ten. Even though you pinched off the hose there is still some in the down stream section.

I doubled the number and told my wife it was all up to her. I was thinking it was the least she could do. Just like marriage, she called bullshit on my number and didn't feel the need to accelerate me towards the little swimmers test.

Also the trip(s) to the lab with a sample jar of your "essence" is uncomfortable enough as it is. You should place the cup neatly in a bag and throw in some loose candy a la Sweetwater. Saltwater taffy seems appropriate. Or maybe Sweedish fish. :)

Back