I have GAS but I have no idea what I want.

Archtops are always tempting, but Gibsons are to archtops what Starbucks are to coffee.
well....that kinda depends on the era you're talking about. 1955 L-5 CES.....that's a little different animal.
EH6800a.jpg

well....that kinda depends on the era you're talking about. 1955 L-5 CES.....that's a little different animal.
EH6800a.jpg

I’d still say no. Gimme a quote on a 1955 Gibson L5, and I wouldn’t have a hard time finding a better archtop that was hand-built by a single luthier for a comparable cost.

Last edited:
I was in the UK just last week visiting my dad who unfortunately not only has dementia but his cancer has returned.

Anyway after visiting him one day I was rather down so `i decided to buy myself something.

That something decided to be a bluetooth controlled R2D2. Which is utterly awesome.

https://www.sphero.com/starwars/r2d2

Agree. No one can make good music with an ES-175. [insert "poking with stick emoji here"]

Joe_Pass_%28jazz%29.jpg

You're not agreeing with anything I said - never said no one can make good music with an ES-175. Just pointed out they were an economical instrument without a solid top. Yes, Joe Pass could have made good music on a Teisco. Grant Green played an ES330. ES335s also have laminate tops and produce great tones. But jazz guitars with solid tops are slightly better sounding and more collectable.

I want a late ‘60’s early 70’s telecaster. You should want one too.

Yep, I want a 65-67 Telecaster, blonde (not see-through), and rosewood fretboard. A friend of mine has one but I haven't been able to convince him to add me to his will yet. He's probably smart for not doing so.

I've been aching for a theremin recently, which would not see much use in my bluegrass/country act, which already has a PSG player and a guy who can play the saw.

As for the OP, I'd look at not knowing what to buy the same way i look at so-called writer's block--a blessed reprieve to be enjoyed.

Back