Hot or Not - Danelectro Wild Thing Baritone Electric Guitar

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
DV016_Jpg_Large_H71389.001_black.jpg

[h=2]A swirling dervish guitar the likes of which you've never seen before.
[/h]This thing is so wild we're hard-pressed to come up with a guitar that has a longer, pointier lower bout than the newly-designed Danelectro Wild Thing Baritone electric guitar. The swirling white pickguard accentuates the body's radical curvature and its contrast with the body finish imparts a distinct yin/yang vibe. Of course Danelectro has long been the instrument of choice for musicians who want to make a bold, distinctive visual statement with its bottle-shaped headstock and lipstick pickups while taking advantage of the Danelectro's easy playability and a price tag that won't cause financial meltdown.

The Wild Thing Baritone has an extended scale 27" neck. That longer neck scale provides greater string tension, which lets you play in lower tunings than are possible with a shorter scale neck where low tunings often result in "floppy" strings that don't stay in tune.

[h=3]Features[/h]
  • Body: Hardboard/plywood construction with hollow with solid center core
  • Tape binding
  • Pickguard: white
  • Neck: Maple with rosewood fingerboard/double acting truss rod
  • Headstock: Bottle shape
  • Scale length: 28.75"
  • Tuners: 3 in-line closed "Kluson"-style
  • Neck profile: C-shaped
  • # frets: 22
  • Nut width: 1.650"
  • Fretboard radius: 14"
  • Bridge: Traditional with single rosewood saddle
  • Neck pickup: Single lipstick
  • Bridge pickup: Single lipstick
  • Electronics: 2 stacked volume/tone controls, 3-way pickup switch ( position 1 bridge, position 2 middle), both bridge and neck in series, position 3 - neck only

I'd really like to get a baritone guitar. But certainly not that one.

I like Dano baritones, but I just do not get into the Wild Thing body shape at all. The only way I'd buy that thing, was if I could pick it up stupid cheap. And even then, the only reason I'd buy it, is because Dano baris sound so cool.

Not really feeling that one, but I would like a Dano baritone for some Spaghetti Western and Dwane Eddy covers. :grin: I'd rather have a 30" neck though. I have a 28 & 5/8" baritone conversion neck from Warmoth, but the lowest I can play it is A-flat standard, which isn't low enough for some of the things I'd like to do.

Not really feeling that one, but I would like a Dano baritone for some Spaghetti Western and Dwane Eddy covers. :grin: I'd rather have a 30" neck though. I have a 28 & 5/8" baritone conversion neck from Warmoth, but the lowest I can play it is A-flat standard, which isn't low enough for some of the things I'd like to do.

my dano says it's 30" but it's really 29.5". what strings are you using for Ab standard? because that's about as low as i can get before it gets floppy and i'm using a 13-72 set.

Back