Hot or Not - Berumen CopperTop #1

Hey guys, just joined up to the forum as I ran into this thread the other day. Thought I'd get on here, introduce myself and chime in.

My name is Isaac Berumen and I've been building guitars for almost 10 years. Started off building 59LP's "copies" for myself to use, using nothing more than a small underpowered bandsaw, belt sander and router. After building the first, I really got into it and one turned into ten which turned into twenty. I worked at Teye Guitars, here in Austin, for about 2 years so I gained plenty of experience there and made some good friends. All the while I continued to build and started to make tweaks to my own designs which were very influenced by LP's, Tele, and the occasional archtop designs

I became an independent builder less than a year ago. The guitar that really pushed me in that direction was a one-off called The Time Machine which featured a mosaic on the top comprised of hand cut pieces of copper, brass, and rosewood. That guitar was a real labor of love and really pushed my skills to another level. With the sale of that guitar I was able to complete my shop and really start focusing on building my instruments one at a time. Berumen Guitars truly is a one man shop operation. I do all the wood work, finishing and assembly. Each guitar is finished with an oil/varnish blend by hand and each has it's own character. You can find my guitars at Austin Guitar House, Rebel Guitars, and soon Infinity Guitars.

I really welcome all opinions and critiques on my guitars. Especially when they come from players like yourselves. This is what will make the guitars better. So please keep them coming and I look forward to reading more of the threads on this forum.

Isaac Berumen

:Wave:

Welcome!

Hey guys, just joined up to the forum as I ran into this thread the other day. Thought I'd get on here, introduce myself and chime in.

My name is Isaac Berumen and I've been building guitars for almost 10 years. Started off building 59LP's "copies" for myself to use, using nothing more than a small underpowered bandsaw, belt sander and router. After building the first, I really got into it and one turned into ten which turned into twenty. I worked at Teye Guitars, here in Austin, for about 2 years so I gained plenty of experience there and made some good friends. All the while I continued to build and started to make tweaks to my own designs which were very influenced by LP's, Tele, and the occasional archtop designs

I became an independent builder less than a year ago. The guitar that really pushed me in that direction was a one-off called The Time Machine which featured a mosaic on the top comprised of hand cut pieces of copper, brass, and rosewood. That guitar was a real labor of love and really pushed my skills to another level. With the sale of that guitar I was able to complete my shop and really start focusing on building my instruments one at a time. Berumen Guitars truly is a one man shop operation. I do all the wood work, finishing and assembly. Each guitar is finished with an oil/varnish blend by hand and each has it's own character. You can find my guitars at Austin Guitar House, Rebel Guitars, and soon Infinity Guitars.

I really welcome all opinions and critiques on my guitars. Especially when they come from players like yourselves. This is what will make the guitars better. So please keep them coming and I look forward to reading more of the threads on this forum.

Isaac Berumen

Thanks for stopping in Isaac. You do beautiful work. In another life I aspired to your professional life, so I'm glad someone is doing it.:thu:

Isaac Berumen

The copper top is very cool, especially the aged copper top. My only complaint is the single pickup design. I have no use for a single pickup design.

Thanks you guys.

To Dogsinotpalc, ask and ye shall receive.... a.jpg

Isaac Berumen

Hi Isaac! Welcome to the forum! :Wave:

I like. The pickup ring is distracting, and I would bump the hell out of that volume knob, but I like :thu:

I'd love to see that Time Machine

+1.... Most of the guitars in my collection are natural finishes... Koa, Black Limba, Ovankol, Spalted Maple, Mahogany..... so Copper and Brass have an appeal to me because of the warm natural look. I try to eliminate as much plastic or plain painted surfaces as possible.

Last edited:
Hold on.... found it!

HPIM3640-1.jpg

HPIM3625-1.jpg

HPIM3626-1.jpg

HPIM3630-1.jpg

I like the use of the twin lipsticks as humbuckers... and the inlay work on the back is very cool. The top is a bit wild for my tastes, but the work is very well done.

My bud Luigi is experimenting with some etched copper tops. When he gives me pics I'll post them.

Back