Gonna take the family for a dinner cruise tomorrow

Were going back out for round 3 tomorrow. Its turned into a pretty good family activity that we can do in the age of Covid.

I keep thinking I should get a bigger boat but the darn thing just works great with minimal fuss, which is pretty rare as boats go. (Mine is a simple 14 ft V-hull with a 25HP tiller outboard.) It's light, easy to launch just about anywhere, runs in pretty shallow water, cant rust or fade cuz its all aluminum
As the kids get older I'd like to get about an 18ft deep V with a walk-through windshield, live wells, bigger outboard for skiing, etc. But then theres so much crap that will always be in need of repair.

After having a few boats from 12’ tin to 24’ V we settled on a 17’ whaler as being the perfect size for us. Easy to launch and retrieve alone. Minimal systems. Also, old or new, boats are about the same amount of work so don’t worry about an older solid boat. The view is the same!

ba2.webp

Make sure the brakes work.

I miss. Snowing and fishing on the lower WI so much. This will end up being the first time I can’t get back to do that in years. :messedup:

Upgraded the wheels and tires on my trailer and did all new hubs and bearings over the weekend. After sitting idle for a few years, the passenger side wheel was running a little warm and the spare was getting kinda dry rot-ey. I got slightly larger tires so it will ride better over bumps and look a little less terrifying to my fellow travelers out on the highway.
New plugs and a lower unit oil change and the old girl is ship shape once again. Gonna leave for another picnic ride with the family as soon as the wifey gets home from work.

Last edited:
We usually go to Pennsylvania this time of year and visit family. I'm always gone by first light fishing a stretch of Jordan Creek catch and release water that runs through town. It's so green and water is so clear, I can forget about work and the hot, dry desert for a while. Not happening this year. Son of a bitch.

Do you generally come back with the same number of people with whom you left?

Sometimes we pick up a hobo or 2. :shrug:

Trip was good. Baby guy is doing better each time we go out. I think next summer we'll be ready to try some fishing.
Got some seaweed around the prop at one point and had to stop and detangle, but otherwise uneventful.

Last edited:
Glad you got that thing running again, was fun getting out on the river and fishing in that thing. Waiting on that pontoon boat when the kids are older...

Welp I went and bought a bigger boat. A 1999 Tracker 17 ft deep V with a 50 hp mercury outboard. Took it for a test ride Sunday and then spent the afternoon cleaning/detailing it. Not a bad boat but will probably need new floors in a few years, which I'll DIY.

But it's a lot more safe and stable for the little people. It runs perfectly, doesnt leak, and all the fishing accoutrements work as they should. I'm thinking about a bimini top

1stkiddo caught a few fish last week and 1 more this week, which was great. We found a little island thats a municipal park so 2ndkiddo can run around and play on the tire swing etc. (Nobody else is ever there so its socially distant by about 1/4 mile)
Today some awesome little fuckers had built a portable ramp and were jumping off the dock into the river with old bmx bikes. They ruled.

Last edited:
The Atomic Barnacle is going to it's new owner this evening. I'm gonna miss the old girl but I dont have room for 2 boats. The new owner is a friend of mine tho, so I'll probably still get to fish from it once in a while.
Dudes getting a great deal on it, but it also saves me from effing with a bunch of effers

Back