Dig it! Fender American Performer Series

That's good news.

good-news-everyone-gif-9.gif

Roasted maple sounds interesting-it doesn't need finishing at all?

I used to be good at soldering when I was in high school, but that was 25 years ago. I could probably get the hang of that after some practice, & YouTube tutorials or something.

No finish at all. It is awesome. So stable, even in this climate where it goes from 99% humidity in the summer to 0% in the winter.

I’m not anti-rosewood, I just prefer the look and feel of maple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just don't like the feel of a finished board.

Roasted Maple is a fretboard I want to try next
Ebony is my favorite.

I just don't like the feel of a finished board.

Roasted Maple is a fretboard I want to try next
Ebony is my favorite.
The boards are unfinished as well. At least on most maple necks. I can’t speak for Fender.

These are alright, though I’m guessing I wouldn’t enjoy playing the jumbo frets.

The surf green Keef Tele is the most immediately appealing, but I already own it’s pink G&L equivalent. And that—which was all custom spec’d and shipped with a hardcase—was only nominally more expensive than this USA Fender D-league stuff.

The Mustang is appealing, but it’d have to be world’s better to justify moving away from the Made in Mexico Offset Series models which are significantly cheaper AND pretty damn awesome as long as you’re willing to sort out the occasional dog that happens with the MIM stuff. Plus the MIM models have a much better bridge.

These are alright, though I’m guessing I wouldn’t enjoy playing the jumbo frets.

The surf green Keef Tele is the most immediately appealing, but I already own it’s pink G&L equivalent. And that—which was all custom spec’d and shipped with a hardcase—was only nominally more expensive than this USA Fender D-league stuff.

The Mustang is appealing, but it’d have to be world’s better to justify moving away from the Made in Mexico Offset Series models which are significantly cheaper AND pretty damn awesome as long as you’re willing to sort out the occasional dog that happens with the MIM stuff. Plus the MIM models have a much better bridge.
Once you try jumbo frets you’ll never go back in my opinion. I love them and grace them on all my guitars. You can fret so much lighter which all’s me to play faster and more fluidly. They took a few to adjust to but no turning back now.

Once you try jumbo frets you’ll never go back in my opinion. I love them and grace them on all my guitars. You can fret so much lighter which all’s me to play faster and more fluidly. They took a few to adjust to but no turning back now.

I’ve had a few guitars over the years with jumbo frets and I’m not a fan. I play a lot of chordy riffs and slide chord shapes up and down the neck. Big frets and fall frets are essentially speed bumps for my rhythm playing. And I play a lot of acoustic guitar and bass, so my grip is a little heavy...which leads to chordal hell when it’s easier to fret something out of tune.

They’re certainly nice and for bendy stuff and slinky single note leads, but that isn’t my thing. I’ve become quite the fan of vintage frets.

I’ve had a few guitars over the years with jumbo frets and I’m not a fan. I play a lot of chordy riffs and slide chord shapes up and down the neck. Big frets and fall frets are essentially speed bumps for my rhythm playing. And I play a lot of acoustic guitar and bass, so my grip is a little heavy...which leads to chordal hell when it’s easier to fret something out of tune.

They’re certainly nice and for bendy stuff and slinky single note leads, but that isn’t my thing. I’ve become quite the fan of vintage frets.

I have a somewhat similar situation in that I'm a lefty-playing-righty, and I have extremely high grip-strength in my left hand. I am always trying to ease up...

If Stay Trem can exist, why can't Fender create some version of the Mastery?

Sorry, forgot who we were talking about ...

If Stay Trem can exist, why can't Fender create some version of the Mastery?

Sorry, forgot who we were talking about ...
Sadly, the Mastery bridge is a small niche product that we as guitar freaks love. 99% of guitardom is freaking out over a Strat bridge being on that JM instead of a proper JM bridge with all of its problems. A Mastery bridge would confuse them.

We are a special breed, my friend. Let's just make sure we don't die off.

Back