Cool Pic....A wildebeest's death-defying leap to freedom

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
CATERS-Wildebeest-Vs-Croc-04-jpg_152654.jpg

A wildebeest's death-defying leap to freedom over the open mouth of a hungry 1,100lb crocodile while crossing the Mara River in Kenya. (Eli Weiss/Caters News)...

There is a big Discovery Channel special that is all about the wildebeast and crocs (perhaps more about the crocs and how the water dries up & then comes back in the rainy season. That photo may be from that same special.

There is an amazing piece in that special (or another) of a zebra who is caught by a croc...a zebra is a survivor and not just an "oh shit I'm caught by a croc" sort of animal. The zebra bites the croc right in the eye and gets away. Amazing.

ONe of the better clips I've seen of video anywhere is this exchange between wildlife:

Battle at Kruger:

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife always feels sorry for the animals when we take the kids to the zoo. Every time I watch a show like those or see pics like that, I think if I were a wild animal, I would rather be in a zoo.

My wife always feels sorry for the animals when we take the kids to the zoo. Every time I watch a show like those or see pics like that, I think if I were a wild animal, I would rather be in a zoo.

Being in a small zoo (unlike San Diego's) doesn't sound fun, but at least everything isn't trying to eat you.

I work in a cubicle these days, but it sure beats outside under the summer sun when I did carpentry.

Amazing! For that calf, all the worst things that could possibly happen to you in a 5 minute stretch of time....happens...... Lions, Crocs, Getting stuck in the middle of a tug of war and both sides wants to eat you..... But yeah, the buffalo gang returning when they realized the calf was on the menu....thats amazing....

Watching the lion headed skyward was intense. Those cape buffalo are BIG animals. I saw a small herd many years ago, at the San Diego wild animal park. I remember the tourguide saying that the hardest part was getting them in the first place. He said even a calf is as strong as 3-4 grown men.

Watching the lion headed skyward was intense.
The entire video is such a rush...imagine what people miss if they turn it off part way through because they can't watch!
Those cape buffalo are BIG animals.
I have video of a Wood Bison which I am sure is 2000 pounds. At one point there are 2 large buffalo in front of it and you can still see the huge one! I met up with a 1200-1500 pounder out on a hike one day. Adrenaline overload.

Here are a couple of screen captures of the big one:
IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a couple of screen captures of the big one:
IMG_0341.jpg

Holy bison breath! He's huge :embarrassed:

We cross country skied near Flathead Lake, Montana, when suddenly, right in the middle of the trail was a huge bull moose. No one even moved to get a camera since he was too close for comfort. He eventually left after what felt like hours. :eek:

We cross country skied near Flathead Lake, Montana, when suddenly, right in the middle of the trail was a huge bull moose. No one even moved to get a camera since he was too close for comfort. He eventually left after what felt like hours. :eek:

Yes, Moose are dangerous...especially the bulls. They can be crazy. The Females can be crazy too if they have young ones but are mostly pretty docile when they don't...sometimes they'll just peek at you from behind trees:
IMG_0334.jpg

That shot is pretty hazy...I think the digital zoom did it.

Back