c'mon iPod

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
....so I for whatever reason woke this morning and after walking the dog and having my first cup of coffee suddenly thought "i wonder if my iPod still works" It is a 4th ben 20GB....now after some Googling I found out it's probably hopeless to get music on them since Apple music replaced iTunes BUT a third party interface is available, etc although any of the music services would not work. I'm sure I still have some music on here...

*EDIT* .....my iMac actually recognizes the device and I have the iPod icon on my desktop with "my name's iPod" :eek:

The last time it was fired up was probably somewhere around 2008 when it was replaced with an iPod touch.

so anyway I plugged it in and just got a battery icon with a lightningbolt through it like this
IMG_0306.jpeg

after about three minutes I got this and it started and is curtrently charging

IMG_0307.jpeg

SAtill can't access anything but it's only been charging for about 10 minutes. Since it hasn't been charged in about 12 years I imagine it might take awhile *spits*

....to be cont........

damn thing is still charging :embarrassed:

I will leave it plugged in (to a wall charger) whilst I go to work and by the time I come home at lunch it will either be charged or it won't.

Also of not I realized since I have the icon on the desktop with the ipod plugged in then I should be able to drag and drop music to it . I opened it up and only saw 'contacts" notes" and "instructions"....no music...

If that doesn't work and assuming it fully charges and boots into home screen then I will take out an old iMac and see if I still have music in that version of iTunes.....

Steve jobs > Tim crook

damn thing is still charging :embarrassed:

I will leave it plugged in (to a wall charger) whilst I go to work and by the time I come home at lunch it will either be charged or it won't.

Also of not I realized since I have the icon on the desktop with the ipod plugged in then I should be able to drag and drop music to it . I opened it up and only saw 'contacts" notes" and "instructions"....no music...

If that doesn't work and assuming it fully charges and boots into home screen then I will take out an old iMac and see if I still have music in that version of iTunes.....

Steve jobs > Tim crook

I remember my oldest cousin having the 1st gen and I was like "what the hell is that thing?"
He said, "You put music on it"
I ended up getting some 20GB Kenwood version or something shortly there after. It was blue and shaped and sized like a CD player.

I've just replaced the battery on my 80GB iPod video (cheap and easy to find on ebay and straightforward to change). I have a pretty good speaker dock for it, so it's worth keeping it running. Should be good for another few years now!

P.S. I've previously replaced a hard drive on a friend's iPod. Also cheap(ish) and easy to do.

I have a thirteen year old iPod that I was using until two weeks ago. It was connected to the stereo in my old car. I got a new car that uses bluetooth, so the iPod is finally being retired.

They're great still for usb plug-in in a car. Half the time Bluetooth doesn't connect right away or something goes wrong.

I have about 100 CD's from the 80's and 90's. Never lost them and they still boot up and play music. Plus I've never lost the music due to a computer or device crash.

I have about 100 CD's from the 80's and 90's. Never lost them and they still boot up and play music. Plus I've never lost the music due to a computer or device crash.
I have a ton of CD'S. It seems the players are on the way out. New cars don't come equipped with them.

Some new cars are putting the cd/dvd player in the glovebox now. Genesis G90 comes to mind, but there are a few others doing it too.

Cool, I’ve often thought about pulling my old ones out, the really tiny ones. Only problem is I take my phone on all my runs and bike rides anyway, it’s kind of redundant. I guess I haven’t used them since the iPhone came out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And call me old school - I honestly hate that.

I can't tell you how much music I've lost due to computer crashes - accounts moving, going from Apple to Android and pc's back to MAC's over the years.
There's only two kinds of data: data that is backed up, and data that IS going to be lost.

Back