Christmas albums that you still, miraculously, do not hate!

I play the "Elvis' Christmas Album". The one Irving Berlin tried to have banned.

From Wikipedia

The Bing Crosby holiday perennial "White Christmas", which appeared every year on the Billboard charts from 1942 to 1962, became the center of controversy upon the album's release, with calls by the song's composer Irving Berlin to have the song, and the entire album, banned from radio airplay.[13] After hearing Presley's version of his song, which Berlin saw as a "profane parody of his cherished yuletide standard", he ordered his staff in New York to telephone radio stations across the United States, demanding the song be discontinued from radio play. While most US radio stations ignored Berlin's request, at least one disc jockey was fired for playing a song from the album, and most Canadian stations refused to play the album.[14]

The controversy was, ironically, fueled by Presley's performance of the song in a style mirroring the version by Clyde McPhatter's group, The Drifters, which had been a Top 10 hit on the R&B singles chart in 1954 and 1955. Unlike Presley's recording, however, their version attracted virtually no adverse reaction, and certainly no reported opposition from Berlin. Part of the reason that The Drifters' version of "White Christmas" was less controversial was that this version was played only on black radio stations. Presley's version brought greater attention to The Drifters' version which gained prominence with its inclusion in the 1990 movie Home Alone.
 
I mentioned that song yesterday at work.
Nobody knew it.:frown:
This was taken last night at a pub in Muswell Hill. Ray looks like he's got another few Christmases in him.

260384927_10166181248070556_5934952187677466982_n.jpg
 

That has only three Christmas songs, so I'd rather go with A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra.
Jingle Bells
The Christmas Song
Mistletoe And Holly
I'll Be Home For Christmas
The Christmas Waltz
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
The First Noel
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
O Little Town Of Bethlehem
Adeste Fidelis
It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
Silent Night
AJollyChristmasFromFrankSinatra.jpg
 
Anything Elvis
Rob Halford’s Halford3 Winter Songs
Cd I have if guitar Christmas tunes
Thrird Day’s Christmas album.
 
This one...

51ztp9LA6IL.jpg


And this one....

81wrj5qQvvL._SL1500_.jpg


Aside from that I love traditional carols sung by highly skilled choirs.
 
Last edited:
I guess I'm kind of a Grinch and don't care for a lot of Christmas music though I can take it in very small doses. However for me the music that I think about most at Christmas time and always give it at least one listen is

715Y4tG74LL._SS500_.jpg
 
JD McPherson Socks is a pretty good recent one
Booker T and the MGs In the Spirit
James Brown Funky Christmas
 
That has only three Christmas songs, so I'd rather go with A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra.
Jingle Bells
The Christmas Song
Mistletoe And Holly
I'll Be Home For Christmas
The Christmas Waltz
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
The First Noel
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
O Little Town Of Bethlehem
Adeste Fidelis
It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
Silent Night
AJollyChristmasFromFrankSinatra.jpg

You're right! I wasn't paying attention - I think this is actually the album/playlist we listen to when we're in that shameless Christmas mood.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Tig
Since Vince Guaraldi and the Ventures have already been listed...




Also, Dean Martin Christmas songs > Frank Sinatra Christmas songs
 
One of my biggest regrets is that I've never seen The Kinks live...
I saw them a couple of times and then a few of Ray's solo shows too. They were all great and I felt fortunate to have the opportunity.

Dave and Ray this past August. They almost — almost — look like they don't want to kill each other.

239062025_387416429415439_9191540051123153367_n.jpg
 
I'm thankful I saw Ray and Dave together a few times in the late '80s (Dave was rockin' a Tele and AC30 those days). I have seen Ray solo, but Dave's small tours never come close. But with them at 77 and 74, I kinda think the rock train is pulling away from the station.
 
Back
Top