Car of the Week: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

(not my choice of color)

img_1336.jpg

img_1347.jpg

img_1314.jpg

img_1322.jpg

Lee Storch finally had a second chance with his 1969 Camaro Z/28, but it took him a long time to get it.

Saying that Storch, a resident of Neenah, Wis., had seller’s remorse after he sold his Hugger Orange Z/28 back in 1972 would be a bit of an understatement. He beat himself up pretty good for that decision over the years. More than that, it drove him through a dogged pursuit for more than three decades to try to get the car back.

Luckily for Storch, the Camaro never left Wisconsin, and through plenty of gumshoe detective work, a lot determination and some helpful fellow car enthusiasts, he was able to buy back the car he wishes he never parted with.

“I was the second owner of the car, and I’m the ninth owner of the car,” jokes Storch, who was able to buy the Camaro for a second time back in 2004. “I got it back about 32 years after I got rid of it. I think I paid about 20 times what I sold it for, but I got the car back!”

Storch will admit that having a sweet ’69 Z/28 with the Rally Sport package as a 19-year-old was a pretty sweet deal. He had a lot of fun with the car for a year, and the early fling made him a Camaro fan for life.

“In 1971 I saw the car at a local dealership and bought it and had it one year. Then I sold it because I was getting married and had a little one on the way and it wasn’t the kind of car to keep,” says Storch. “So I sold it after one year and of course I regretted it right away … Then in roughly the mid-’80s, I was curious where the car was and if it was crushed or whether it still existed. So a friend of mine’s wife worked at the police station and I gave them the VIN and was able to track the car down and it was in Junction City [Wis.]. So I went there, knocked on the door, and the owner of the car showed me the car, but it was painted a different color. I asked him if he wanted to sell it and he said ‘no.’

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/car-of-the-week-hugger-orange-1969-chevrolet-camaro-z28

One of the best looking Chevies of all time. I was always pretty partial to the blue as well, but that's all you ever see at car shows, blue or white. The orange looks great.

That's a perfectly cromulent color, I kinda like it.

A guy in my dorm in the Air Force had a nice 1969 Z28. He was dating a gal that drove a very nice 1979 Z28. They got married in 1989, and yes, you guess it....they bought a 1989 Z28 for their mutual wedding present to each other.

I wonder what ever happened to them, hopefully they stayed together. I'd hate to see that Z28 collection broken up :frown:

yesterday and again today i've seen the same '69 Z28 going in the opposite direction i was and it was black with the white stripes.
i could be wrong, but i'm not sure i've seen a black one before.

Back