Car of the Week: 1967 AMC Marlin

img_4685.jpg

img_4698.jpg

img_4705.jpg

img_4694.jpg

img_4692.jpg

img_4691.jpg

Bob Wunrow still feels a touch of guilt when he recalls buying his lovely 1967 AMC Marlin from the original owner. He didn’t mean to fleece the little old lady that was selling the car. It sort of happened by accident.

“When I saw it for sale, she said she wanted $350 for it, and I said ‘Oh, $350?’ thinking that wasn’t very much,” recalls the resident of Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. “And she said, ‘Well I’ll take $300 then.’ Then I couldn’t get my money out fast enough!”

Even though the car had some rust issues and was going to need some work, Wunrow was thrilled with his low-budget purchase. He is a true AMC enthusiast and the perfect second owner for a car that was obviously loved and cared for by the woman who drove it home from the dealer showroom.

Before he got the car home, though, Wunrow had to make a promise.

“When I came back to get it there was a note on the car that said, ‘Bob, when you restore this car please bring it back and show me.’ I had told her I was going to restore it because there had been a couple holes in the front fender and some rust problems. It needed to be restored.”
It took a while, but Wunrow held up his end of the bargain.

read more: https://www.oldcarsweekly.com/features/amc-marlin-car-of-the-week

Could have had one for cheap back in 92-93 that was stored in a defunct auto repair garage after my friends grandpa had a stroke in the mid seventies. Whole place was filled with Hudson Hornets and parts therefore. A Hudson Commodore in pieces, an AMC scout, a few other cars and a Red/White Marlin. Only thing wrong was a ripped seat. It wasn't the type of old-timer I was looking for and I was living in the barracks, so no place to store it properly.

In the 70’s my brother had a Matador and a buddy with a 69 SST javelin. The SST would scoot.

I want to say those were Mopar engines. Distributor was positioned the same and didn’t it also have that mopar starter whine?

Last edited:
I had never heard of a Marlin, let alone seen one before.

What's the chrome thing, passenger's side, below the glove box?

When the Marlin was a fairly new car, I didn't like them.
Now I have a whole new appreciation for them.

it definitely has A/C.
if you look at the engine pic, the a/c compressor is right there, on top

After I read this, scrolled back up to look at the dash. It has vents. Would dealer installed AC have vents in the dash?

After I read this, scrolled back up to look at the dash. It has vents. Would dealer installed AC have vents in the dash?
i don't know what the shiny thing under the dash on the passenger's side is.
i'm just saying that the equipment under the hood says there IS a/c in the car.

i don't know what the shiny thing under the dash on the passenger's side is.
i'm just saying that the equipment under the hood says there IS a/c in the car.

Yeah, and Dealer installed AC is a good guess for the year of the car but, I'm used to seeing vents in the box hanging down under the dash. Not saying it isn't. Just not sure.

Heat & just forced atmosphere air...standard

If you look up dealer installed Air conditioner 1960s or something similar you'll see these accessory chrome under dash units that were part of the system

So my first guess was DSO air conditioning or a cd changer from the early 90s (which seems highly unlikely)

Back