WTF: Backyard Chickens

I'm not saying that it IS a choice between being a full time farmer or a grocery store shopper. I'm just saying that before you sign up for backyard chickens, it would be a good idea to lean how much you can tolerate shit shoveling, blood and guts, etc.

If more people did that, we wouldn't have so many "rescue chickens" like are described in the OP.

I'm just thinking your suggestion to spend an entire summer doing full-time manual labor wouldn't really relate much to the experience of keeping 2-4 chickens. It's kind of like suggesting that a person interested in a saltwater aquarium should be a charter fishing boat captain. Or prospective parents should work in an orphanage for a few months. Want a puppy? First, you've got to take this team of sled dogs across Canada.
 
Have we talked about PROTEIN today? Well, if we haven't, I was wondering if you've ever considered if you're getting enough PROTEIN? You wouldn't want to have TOO LITTLE PROTEIN, would you?

Did you know almost ten thousand American die every year from protein deficiencies? That sounds totally crazy but it's seriously true.

You're the artist formerly known as Actionsquid, right?

You don't see any parallel between this kind of thing and beer geeks?
 
just so we can cram everything in here, WTF is up with the Paleo diet? I have no problem with the diet itself. people eat what they want to eat. but it seems more like a cult than a diet. Paleo people can't stop talking about Paleo even when the conversation has nothing to do with it. and they're really intense about it too.



I guess people get pretty passionate about their dietary choices and feel like everyone else is doing it wrong. SOME vegetarians, SOME meat eaters, and SOME cavemen just cant figure out why everyone doesnt do it their way. I actually like most of the concepts of what qualifies as paleo but would never tell someone I follow a paleo diet. I guess it is a lot less sexy to say "the diet that goes easy on grains and sugars but plenty of veggies, healthy proteins and healthy fats".
 
I'm just thinking your suggestion to spend an entire summer doing full-time manual labor wouldn't really relate much to the experience of keeping 2-4 chickens. It's kind of like suggesting that a person interested in a saltwater aquarium should be a charter fishing boat captain. Or prospective parents should work in an orphanage for a few months. Want a puppy? First, you've got to take this team of sled dogs across Canada.

Meh. I stand by the analogy. Granted, it's not a full time job, but raising chickens is far more than a 3 month comittment as well.

But if it helps you feel any better, we can say "I think anybody considering getting chickens should spend 20 minutes per day for several years working with somebody who raises 2-4 chickens."
Y'know - just so there's no imperfections in the comparison.
 
Yep that's me.

And in all honestly no, I'm not sure what you mean.

Really? The helpering? The condescending "look bud, do yourself a favor and make sure you get enough protein" vs. the "look bud, do yourself a favor and drink a microbrew"
Or the "I didn't get to the top of the food chain just to eat lettuce" vs. the "My finely tuned tastebuds do not abide macrolagers"
Or the "Vegetarians are weak and pasty" versus "Miller drinkers are uneducated flyover state mouthbreathers"

C'mon - You really think one is annoying and the other is acceptable? That they're not just two sides of the same coin?
 
Really? The helpering? The condescending "look bud, do yourself a favor and make sure you get enough protein" vs. the "look bud, do yourself a favor and drink a microbrew"
Or the "I didn't get to the top of the food chain just to eat lettuce" vs. the "My finely tuned tastebuds do not abide macrolagers"
Or the "Vegetarians are weak and pasty" versus "Miller drinkers are uneducated flyover state mouthbreathers"

C'mon - You really think one is annoying and the other is acceptable? That they're not just two sides of the same coin?

Um.
 
So you're going with the deliberately obtuse angle then?

OK.

I just honestly don't really have a response. The comparison just seems... awkward. I guess you could draw some kind of vague comparison but I feel like you are kind of reaching.
 
I just honestly don't really have a response. The comparison just seems... awkward. I guess you could draw some kind of vague comparison but I feel like you are kind of reaching.

In both cases it's douchey to get up in somebody else's business and tell them what they should/should not consume.

Crystal clear.
 
I'm not a soda racist, I drink tem all. I'm getting plenty of caramel coloring from my store brand cola :tongue:
 
Back
Top