An interesting observation based on our last couple of webcasts.

I've got a steady four-four riff where you're picking only on the bass three strings, from the D string to low. Low E for bass, a little riff on A and D.
And then, on an upstroke, hitting the three high strings for chords, getting three parts happening at once that you can expand with other players.
I know I've got something new when I have to work on it and practice it before I can play it.
 
When I was reading this thread earlier, I was wondering about the same kind of questions HelpI'maRock asked. I was specifically thinking of Mark's Suhr vs. the many other strats out there also. I could not for the life of me figure out how even in a studio recording, it would make much of a difference. Mark's answer about the artificially created sonic background makes sense though. I am glad I don't have to deal with that.
 
Jeff Healy played a Squier, not just because he was blind and didn't know any better, but because it felt good in his hands and sounded the way he wanted it to sound. It wasn't a Classic Vibe, it was a plain jane Squier.
I doubt anyone here, or anyone for that matter, could be blindfolded and given ten guitars to play, and determine their dollar value order from cheapest to most expensive, or even be close. And if asked to pick their favorite of all those guitars, a few would be surprised, when the blindfold was removed, to find on their lap an SX or an Squier.
I have heard some great players play some amazing guitar on shitty old guitars and some shitty guitar players play like crap on great guitars. For some reason, we base our definition of great tone on old recordings made on some less than great quality guitars through crummy sound and recording equipment.
At the end of the day, all the time spent arguing new versus vintage and cheap versus expensive is all just lost time that should have been spent playing.
 
Jeff Healy played a Squier, not just because he was blind and didn't know any better, but because it felt good in his hands and sounded the way he wanted it to sound. It wasn't a Classic Vibe, it was a plain jane Squier.
I doubt anyone here, or anyone for that matter, could be blindfolded and given ten guitars to play, and determine their dollar value order from cheapest to most expensive, or even be close. And if asked to pick their favorite of all those guitars, a few would be surprised, when the blindfold was removed, to find on their lap an SX or an Squier.
I have heard some great players play some amazing guitar on shitty old guitars and some shitty guitar players play like crap on great guitars. For some reason, we base our definition of great tone on old recordings made on some less than great quality guitars through crummy sound and recording equipment.
At the end of the day, all the time spent arguing new versus vintage and cheap versus expensive is all just lost time that should have been spent playing.

that's not entirely true. Healey's Squier was made in Japan. and there was no such thing as an "Affinity Series" or any other series of Squier. it was just "Squier". the CV is the first Squier to even get close to the quality of those guitars.
 
that's not entirely true. Healey's Squier was made in Japan. and there was no such thing as an "Affinity Series" or any other series of Squier. it was just "Squier". the CV is the first Squier to even get close to the quality of those guitars.


My buddy Travis has one of those Squiers and it's about as good as my Tokai.
 
Fender dusted off the original Stratocaster assembly line to build "low-budget guitars", from 1972-'74, calling them Squires.
These Squires are identical to '60-'64 product.

I still smile to myself, about post-Leo Fender Fender,
thinking how much business planning has gone into making new models that are supposed to be better than the bad original models.
 
Fender dusted off the original Stratocaster assembly line to build "low-budget guitars", from 1972-'74, calling them Squires.
These Squires are identical to '60-'64 product.
.


Actually, I thought that Larry Dimarzio designed the original Stratocaster pickup in 1953 and that the pickups in the 1972 Squier models were just leftover pickups from that original Dimarzio production run of pickups from 1954.
 
that's not entirely true. Healey's Squier was made in Japan. and there was no such thing as an "Affinity Series" or any other series of Squier. it was just "Squier". the CV is the first Squier to even get close to the quality of those guitars.
Regardless, it was a Squier just the same. The whole point of the post was to state that any guitar in the hands of a good player will sound better than that same guitar in the hands of an inexperienced player, and that again, I truly believe that without seeing the guitar they're playing, a lot of players would probably be surprised at what they choose as a great guitar, and that there as many ideas about what constitutes a great guitar and good tone as there are guitar players.
 
Regardless, it was a Squier just the same. The whole point of the post was to state that any guitar in the hands of a good player will sound better than that same guitar in the hands of an inexperienced player, and that again, I truly believe that without seeing the guitar they're playing, a lot of players would probably be surprised at what they choose as a great guitar, and that there as many ideas about what constitutes a great guitar and good tone as there are guitar players.

i wholeheartedly agree.
 
Back
Top