National Hockey League 2018-2019

There are certain franchises that just have shit cultures surrounding them: the Penguins, the Leafs, the Canes.

Poor Kadri just can't control his impulses; that dude is going to wind up in prison after he stops playing. I don't even think he had a thought in his mind as he did that.

Crosby, of course, is the ultimate shitbag superstar. Great game, but just a pure crap sportsman. It will be a fucking pleasure watching them lose this year.

Bruins had their 'redemption' game last night, but the puck management still looks inconsistent, and it will be tough if Moore or Miller can't come back to replace Krug.
 
Canes - poor ownership, lack of connection to hockey history (I'm being nice here - not talking about no pond hockey in Charlotte, but the incredibly tacky displays i.e. wearing retired Whaler # while in Whaler jersey; 'special celebrations' to keep NASCAR -- sorry I mean 'hockey' fans at the game longer), and a fanbase that is inconsistent and does not understand the game.

Mostly though, it's the classlessness of the owner. No beef with new-hockey-town fans. Front office ... ick.
 
And now the Pens have a big problem but that's pretty much a good thing here it seems (Full disclosure, I neither like nor hate the Pens). Boston bounced back like I expected since I'm not so down on them as their biggest fan around these parts is :Wave:. Flames missed an opportunity. To me, winning the home games has always been about holding serve so I don't see it as a big problem to lose the 1st 2 on the road unless you are dominated (see the Pens). But obviously you'd rather go on the road up 2 than tied (or down 2 which is a BIG problem usually)
 
I am loving the Penguins getting F'd. If tompetty were here he'd be offering me XL coffee meet ups.

Tampon Bay? I would never have guessed this. Good for Torts.

Kadri? That F'n idiot...yes, there were 2 calls that should have been made on infractions against you but you are a PRO so ACT LIKE A PRO!! Yes, he shoukd have hit him but not with a high crosscheck. Brutal. Last year he was suspended against the Bruins too. What a liability.
 
Kadri actually didn't deserve any calls. The "knee on knee" is just the imagination of Toronto "fans"* and the rest of it, well, he admirably stuck his nose in and got knocked around a bit. This is not Chara beating him like a rented mule in front of the net, this is Jake "not really a physical guy" DeBrusk, who Kadri tried cheap-shotting for the last several months (bcos Kadri, bcos DeBrusk nowhere near as scary as Bergeron or Marchand).

Nah, Kadri simply lost a trench war and then took leave of his senses.

* - sometime soon in this thread (probably tomorrow night, as the Leafs will be up 5-2 in the third after several friendly calls tilt the ice in their favor). While the culture around the Penguins is preposterously ugly, I can't shit on Pittsburgh fans. They're salt of the earth people.

No, it's the dimwitted, pompous anuses of Toronto who have cornered the market on ShitFan status in hockey.

Somewhere, Bobby Orr is smiling, and Pat Quinn ... well, Pat Quinn is dead, thank goodness. Fuck the Leafs fans. In both eye sockets.
 
Saw this incredible photo of the Lightning's playoff highlights.

hockey-stadium-fans-crowd-empty-260nw-274736579.jpg
 
Kadri actually didn't deserve any calls. The "knee on knee" is just the imagination of Toronto "fans"* and the rest of it, well, he admirably stuck his nose in and got knocked around a bit. This is not Chara beating him like a rented mule in front of the net, this is Jake "not really a physical guy" DeBrusk, who Kadri tried cheap-shotting for the last several months (bcos Kadri, bcos DeBrusk nowhere near as scary as Bergeron or Marchand).

Nah, Kadri simply lost a trench war and then took leave of his senses.

Well, the knee on knee is a little questionable but still...he saw Kadri coming and spread out. The knee was getting him regardless of the little move he tried to avoid the hit. Because he didn't lean into it...ok, I will drop that.

The early 'skirmish' when they both went to the box - that was an absolute embarrassment of officiating. DeBrusk was mauling him, Kadri was doing nothing but whining and then he gets up only to be mauled again and still does nothing but whine. He goes to the box for getting mauled. Now, the whining is despicable but there is no penalty for whining and I agreed with Cherry that "where;s my penalty" bs is just that - bs. But that mauling was completely one-sided and not for Kadri trying and losing, just for Kadri playing and being mauled. That was the most important point in the game for officiating. There were two points in the 'skirmish' which DeBrusk could or should have been penalized. It could have been double minors for DeBrusk and there is no conceivable way that Kadri should have been penalized there. Zero.



That video breaks down like this:
-Kadri carrying puck
-DeBrusk lays a hit & both go down
-DeBrusk roughs him while he has his hands up
-DeBrusk roughs him further while Kadri turns away from him (giving up the rear naked choke) and is even throwing punches

Embarrassing on two fronts. Kadri was folding without even starting to resist. The officials were out to lunch.

Kadri should have have punched him after he hit Marleau if he wanted to 'respond' to the hit or the hits - the crosscheck didn't serve any purpose other than getting himself suspended. Lay a crosscheck to his body if you want to throw one but one to the head after your playoff suspension last year? This guy is a dud. A complete liability with this level of poor control of his emotions and actions.

And Chara was treating him softly...Chara should have been wailing on him.
 
No, it's the dimwitted, pompous anuses of Toronto who have cornered the market on ShitFan status in hockey.

Now, you say some funny things and you say some borderline things but for you to say that after vehemently defending Boston fans is absolutely laughable. How many times in recent years have racist comments come from Boston fans? But Toronto has "cornered the market on ShitFan status in hockey"?

Absolutely way out.

I'm smart enough to know that there are dummies in every fan base and yes there may be a few bases which have the whole tainted by the sums of their worst parts but for a Boston fan to be handing out judgements on other fan bases - well, that's hilarious.
 
Let's be serious a moment - I've never backed away from Boston's ugly history of racism. In 1984 I brought my female friend from Trinidad to a party in Charlestown, stopped in at a mini-mart, and wound up getting beaten to where I had 110 stitches put in my head at Mass General. Where I grew up, my childhood friends are mostly black, and I saw how they were treated. Then I worked in a federal program with a ton of African American kids in the 90's, and saw how magically public pools could be "closed for cleaning" when a bus full of black kids pulled up.

It's also the city where abolitionism started, and where an African American was first elected to the US Senate (Ed Brooke).

Just as I don't assume someone is racist when I hear a southern accent, I don't think it's right to project a region's issue onto every individual.
 
My disgust with Leafs fans is all about hockey - they're entitled, snobby, and marry self-serving irrationalism with delusions of grandeur. At least Canadiens fans don't lie and make sad excuses. Leafs fans are the ultimate fair-weather, know-something-but-a-lot-less-than-they-think semi-casual watchers. I don't think it's important to be a diehard, but fuck's sake, if you don't know the game don't carry on like you do.

Entitlement mentality is an ugly culture to surround a franchise (and as a Patriots fan, boy do I know this firsthand). I'll take a truckload of shit off a Canadiens (or Blackhawks, or Rangers fan(s), all of whom I have as friends) before I hear the first fucking peep from a Leaf fan.

There is a reason they're hated by almost every other fanbase.

There was no "knee on knee hit." DeBrusk went to lower his shoulder into Kadri, and their knees collided. That's not even close to the good old Ulf Samuelsson moves. In fact, DeBrusk's play was described as clean by Jones and Olczyk, neither of whom have any love for the Bruins. This is one of those instances when a narrative gets away from the facts, and people just mindlessly repeat it until it's "a discussion."

As for talking about DeBrusk's roughing up of Kadri, this is the old canard of casual sports fans: focusing on one call while ignoring the rest of the game. The Leafs had plenty of similar plays, they just got their asses kicked so bcos Leafs culture there is a shitload of whining about it. Only other team to whine this much is the Canucks, and they're irrelevant. You would never, ever, ever see Canadiens fans whine and piss and moan like this.

Either way, tonight the refs will 'make a statement' and the Leafs will get some power plays.

Here's a bold prediction: some ratty little Leaf will take a hard cheap shot at Bergeron or Pastrnak, and the Bruins will not get the call. In hockey culture, this will be considered a balancing of accounts unless they're injured. Whatever.
 
Back
Top