Yes...I uh Love Al Green

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
While clearly I working off my constant misreading of tompetty's thread, this is not actually a parody, but a statement of fact and adoration.

Of all of the R&B, soul, gospel, hip-hop, neo-soul, etc. singers thus far, Al is my favorite. Love and Happiness is one of the best songs ever...or at least an absolute favorite of mine.

His phrasing is so unique, at times horn like. His range is excellent and his timbre is perfect for my ears. He's the only guy that can sing Sam Cooke tunes and make them sound better. At one point I had aspirations of being a touring guitarist for a singer I loved and Al was at the top of that list.

I never get tired of Al Green's voice. You can hear one note and recognize it.

I have to bring up my love for Otis Reading as well as Sam & Dave when the classic R&B subject comes up, but Al is my perennial favorite.

I never get tired of Al Green's voice. You can hear one note and recognize it.

I have to bring up my love for Otis Reading as well as Sam & Dave when the classic R&B subject comes up, but Al is my perennial favorite.

Agreed, and that just makes my point stronger. There have been some AMAZING men and women (Ray Charles and Aretha just to name two) in the genre(s) and a massive amount were his contemporaries. Despite that Al is the creme de la creme. He's more specialer than the rest.

Reactions: Tig
Al Green is smoother than most!

I can't wait until tomorrow!
hungry.gif

images

I would place Al Green right alongside Marvin Gaye as my all time favorites and hold them both in as high regard as I do the Temptations and the Four Tops.

When Al Green first appeared on the radio, it was like nothing I had heard before. He had a quality that Motown usually tried to smother.

i like Al Green also....but i like a bunch of the soul/r&b folks of that era. Bill Withers is another i can listen to all day long.

I would place Al Green right alongside Marvin Gaye as my all time favorites and hold them both in as high regard as I do the Temptations and the Four Tops.

I must have brain damage to have forgotten Marvin earlier. messedup0 Time for a cat scan?

Back