Achtung! WW2 Plane Crashes in Glorious Technicolor

Acadiafall

Kiss Me Hardy
I know some of you find this stuff interesting, and so you should. I can't say Id like to have been in one, so Im glad someone was.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gallery/horror-explosions-terrifying-crash-landings-11637791

A taster :eek:

PAY-Colourised-War-Planes.jpg

Those are some cool pics. The guy working on the Fat Man is just an odd pic. Here I am shirtless, working on a giant bomb that will destroy a city.

The Japanese rocket plane looks like it was built in someone's backyard. Even WITH an undercarriage, I'd imagine it would be a one-way ride...

The Japanese rocket plane looks like it was built in someone's backyard. Even WITH an undercarriage, I'd imagine it would be a one-way ride...

Yep, they were. The kamikaze program was not a very successful one, and was basically a last-gasp effort by the Japanese. The kamikaze pilots knew how to fly just well enough to get of the ground and point their plane at a target.

The Smithsonian used to have tours of their restoration facility in Suitland, MD (by appointment) where you could see all kinds of cool stuff that wasn't in the main museums. They had a few of those kamikaze planes as well as some German experimentals that were very cool. Once they opened the Udvar Hazy facility, they quit doing those tours. Too bad they stopped that program. For aerospace nerds it was heaven.

It is a matter of deep regret that I've never had a chance to visit the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian.

Back