Windows (1995)

I don't hate DOS. I use the command line as often as possible. It's much more efficient. I've done a lot of coding in DOS.
Oh, command line shenanigans can be fun, especially when your dolt of an ex-department head imaged a bunch of machines, never joined them to the domain, and didn't use any of the documented passwords, so you have to grab a Win10 install stick, Shift-F10 into the command line, replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe, reboot, hit the accessibility button, and create a new administrator account via command line. :tongue:

The 286 version of OS/2. Like I said, IBM eventually released a 386 version of OS/2 that removed the one DOS box limitation, but it was a lost cause by then.
I actually used to run OS/2 2.11 on my old Pentium-166 box with the OS/2 version of Roland DeGraaf's VirtualBBS.

windows-png.34778
Only problem I ever had with Vista was that the print spooler was fucked. Other than that HP and some other big vendors fucked up by not putting out WDDM drivers for their devices when Vista dropped the WDM driver model. End users blamed Microsoft but Vista was in beta for a year and the new driver model documentation was out even before that, so it was a bunch of lazy fuckers.

Windows 7 is Vista with a few UI tweaks and a fixed print spooler.

Oh, command line shenanigans can be fun, especially when your dolt of an ex-department head imaged a bunch of machines, never joined them to the domain, and didn't use any of the documented passwords, so you have to grab a Win10 install stick, Shift-F10 into the command line, replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe, reboot, hit the accessibility button, and create a new administrator account via command line. :tongue:

Does this still work? I though MS fixed this.

Only problem I ever had with Vista was that the print spooler was fucked. Other than that HP and some other big vendors fucked up by not putting out WDDM drivers for their devices when Vista dropped the WDM driver model. End users blamed Microsoft but Vista was in beta for a year and the new driver model documentation was out even before that, so it was a bunch of lazy fuckers.

Windows 7 is Vista with a few UI tweaks and a fixed print spooler.
Windows 7 was the best version of a MS OS.

I still rather use Debian linux. I dual boot with Win 7 for games and a few other programs.

@PunkKitty I was strolling through wikipedia reading up on OS/2, MCA, VESA, and PCI and I noticed the dates these things came out. Damn, we are old.

I think the first personal computer I ever saw as a Commodore Pet. Maybe at the same time an Apple II or something.

EDIT: and not long later, I bought my first, the first Mac in 1984 through a college purchase option through UW in Seattle. I still remember all the dial up modems with handsets in little holders in the personal computer labs.

Last edited:
Does this still work? I though MS fixed this.
Did it yesterday. My former IT Department Coordinator, who will henceforth be referred to as Commander Fuckbucket, liked to fuck around with things with absolutely zero consistency and wouldn't tell anybody, even when asked. So I had a machine with two local admin accounts that didn't use the standard passwords and they weren't joined to the domain so I couldn't log in using my domain administrator credentials.

Did it yesterday. My former IT Department Coordinator, who will henceforth be referred to as Commander Fuckbucket, liked to fuck around with things with absolutely zero consistency and wouldn't tell anybody, even when asked. So I had a machine with two local admin accounts that didn't use the standard passwords and they weren't joined to the domain so I couldn't log in using my domain administrator credentials.

Thanks for passing this on. Years ago (before the accessibility features), I used to copy cmd.exe and give it the name of the default screen saver (login.scr maybe?). Then you booted and waited for the screensaver to kick in - command prompt with SYSTEM credentials. Microsoft plugged that hole by making screensavers run under an account with no access to anything.

If you don't care about any local users or groups, you can simply delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam. When windows boots, it create a new one with no password for administrator.

Back