Question: Why would you buy any other size of egg other than 'large'?

pmc100

Faux Guitarist
Who's eating medium eggs? I don't think I've ever bought a medium egg in my life. Do other countries even have egg size grades? I can't see average Joe Murican running around with small eggs in the back of his pickup :shrug:

Medium eggs are less watery and have a better shell quality. They come from younger hens.

I just looked that up.

Yes, I don't suppose every country has size grades but all countries have eggs in the same sizes because the size depends on the age of the hens.

Size doesn't affect the taste but nutrition matters a lot, and hence :embarrassed: I prefer free range.

I prefer free range.
Egg farmers lose a lot of eggs when they adopt the free range method.
All of those eggs just rolling around the barnyard like that.
Eggs being free to move around is nice, I guess, but I’m not sure eggs are even sentient because they’re not fertilised. Does it really change the quality of the egg?

i find the biggest ones you get double yolks more. i find that weird so i stick to the large ones.

I've seen a few recipes that call for them. Maybe the yolk/white ratio is different? The chickens are laying small eggs sometimes, some one might as well be eating them.

I've got a guy at work I buy my eggs from. They're different colors, different shapes as different sizes.

Egg farmers lose a lot of eggs when they adopt the free range method.
All of those eggs just rolling around the barnyard like that.
Eggs being free to move around is nice, I guess, but I’m not sure eggs are even sentient because they’re not fertilised. Does it really change the quality of the egg?

I guess the eggs taste better because the hens move around and eat all kinds of things.

I can verify as a fact a "yard" chicken and the eggs produced by them are indeed superior.
My maternal grandparents had free range chickens who roosted in their henhouse at night.
I think that's why Pawpaw did not like dogs, he feared for his tasty chickens.

I’m not really a breakfast food guy… very take it or leave it, but it’s my wife’s favorite.

One time she was upset with me for buying “Extra Large Eggs” because apparently they don’t taste as good as medium or large eggs.

Back