Whole cashews

Dudeman1967

blah, blah, blah...
So what percentage of cashews in a package do you think need to be actually whole to be labelled "whole cashews?"

Important stuff here folks!

I would think from a strictly bare minimum would be 51%. You could make the case that you could round up. That's weak sauce.

I would think that 75% whole would be acceptable to me to be honestly labeled "whole cashews". Still not good enough for me.

>90% whole would be ideal. Maybe even enough to be labeled deluxe or premium.

I understand that settling and breakage can occur in shipping but a premium product can be packed in a premium protective package.

So all percentages are after distribution and in your hands.

OCD minds want to know!

I think they put them in the bag whole. Whatever happens after that can't be helped.

I work in packaging design and testing. They can be mostly protected but it will cost more than a standup pouch. I think they are way better when whole. It's a texture thing. But I also wonder if the cashews that survive the shipping whole may be superior from the start.

As a nut enthusiast, I just want to say I support cashews and this thread.

I find I like them better in a mixture, I get tired of just cashews alone. And they have to be roasted.

As far as the op question - I think that just means that they didn't make an effort to chop them up. No idea what the labeling standards might be... :tongue:

I think cashews are highly overrated as a nut, whole or otherwise.

So there's my extremely helpful input. :grin:

A dark chocolate covered whole cashew can NOT be overrated.

Otherwise in proper proportions in a larger nut mix, a cashew can have a large impact on the mix as a whole. The cashews ratio to almonds is the most important in the mix. If you have peanuts in there you are doing it wrong. Too many Brazil nuts can throw off the mix also.

A dark chocolate covered whole cashew can NOT be overrated.

Otherwise in proper proportions in a larger nut mix, a cashew can have a large impact on the mix as a whole. The cashews ratio to almonds is the most important in the mix. If you have peanuts in there you are doing it wrong. Too many Brazil nuts can throw off the mix also.
To defend the honor of the humble peanut, I'd take one/a handful of them over a cashew any day! Brazil nuts are even worse than cashews, bleh.

If I get to pick, gimme some walnuts or pecans

To defend the honor of the humble peanut, I'd take one/a handful of them over a cashew any day! Brazil nuts are even worse than cashews, bleh.

If I get to pick, gimme some walnuts or pecans
I don't dislike peanuts but in a mix it is a sign of a substandard mix. Walnuts and pecans are great.

What are your tolerances for filberts?

I only tolerate Dilberts.

low-hanging-fruit-dilbert.jpg

Last time I bought a can of whole cashews I'd say they were 90 percent whole. If you just buy cashews you're not going to get that many whole nuts.

Last edited:
Back