Question: where to fine Don Williams sheet music/song-book

Hi,

Anyone knows where one can buy used or new country music sheet music in the UK, especially Don Williams. I know that in the USA this would be easy to find in any second-hand bookshop. I have searched in Edinburgh and was lucky to find Jewel's songbook for the album Spirit and bought it just for £2.50. Looks new! I need don Williams to start leaning with, since I can already sing some of Don's songs.

Looks like a good number of them on EBay with shipping to the UK. Good luck. You might also do a Google search for Don Williams lyrics and chords and find some free stuff.

There is some reason. Most online tabs or horribly incorrect. There AE good lessons on YouTube but if I need music for anything I'll spend the money at musicnotes.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only an idiot spends money for guitar lesso..... Ummmm.... Never mind! :facepalm:

There is some reason. Most online tabs or horribly incorrect. There AE good lessons on YouTube but if I need music for anything I'll spend the money at musicnotes.com
Agreed, but if you use them as a rough guide, or as a starting point, and then use your ear for the rest, they can be helpful for getting over the hump. As you said though, so many are horribly inaccurate, in wrong keys, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, but have found serious mistakes in songbooks that cost $20. Better to at least check out the freeware before spending money on a songbook that may or may not be accurate. For someone just starting out or even someone like me who just plays for fun and personal enrichment, free is better.

I use Ultimate Guitar with a lot of students, but I almost always have to correct something in the track. Most common offender is the incorrect chord names. :embarrassed:

I agree, but have found serious mistakes in songbooks that cost $20. Better to at least check out the freeware before spending money on a songbook that may or may not be accurate. For someone just starting out or even someone like me who just plays for fun and personal enrichment, free is better.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. And that comes from a decade and a half (since the internet starting giving us it's bounty of incorrect and incomplete tabulature) worth of trying to unwind people who come into my studio of music learned by rote with no rhythmic or fingering information. A person would never accept their kid learning piano or saxophone or any other instrument this way but for some reason incompleteness and musical illiteracy is just fine for guitarists. And before anyone pulls out the "Muddy Waters/Bill Monroe/Jimi Hendrix never needed to learn this stuff" argument I don't think most of the people downloading tabs from UG are living and performing music the way that artists like that did. It makes no sense whatsoever for someone to try and learn music by osmosis when a few months of basic theory, technique and rhythm skills will inform a person's playing infinitely faster than flailing around part time with tab.

I apologize if I'm offending anyone but this is what I have done professionally for the last 26 years and its become something of a hot button issue with me. Learning to read music, understand basic diatonic music theory or to count and feel time consistently won't make anyone an incredible musician by themselves but they are some of the (many) tools that to allow you to get to that point. You don't even need ALL of the tools. I teach a lot of people the important stuff without music reading, for instance. I have so many adult students who have played for 30-40 years that benefit massively from just a few months of fundamentals with me. Is it better to learn efficient ways to make music at the beginning or the end of your relationship with the instrument? Or never? And I constantly hear folks complain that lessons are too expensive but they are constantly buying or flipping guitars, amps and pedals.

And yeah, I get it that not everyone wants to be a professional musician (the "personal enrichment" part) but I would never suggest to a stone cold beginner that they could actually learn music well through online tabs and Youtube videos. I get lots of those folks in here too.

ok. after reading that back it looks like I am grumpy with low blood sugar and should perhaps eat something before posting again :embarrassed:

The best thing my guitar teacher ever taught me was how to use my ears.

He also taught me theory, and guitar maintenance, but he taught me how to figure stuff out by listening to it, and then he taught me the the theory behind what I was hearing.

ok. after reading that back it looks like I am grumpy with low blood sugar and should perhaps eat something before posting again :embarrassed:

Nah, your points are valid, and my comments only reflect my personal goals and opinions. I have been burned buying "official" songbooks that are no better than the worst on-line tab, so my suggestion was only meant to save the OP some money if he wanted some immediate gratification regarding the music book he was looking for. You will notice that I never said youtube lessons were anywhere as good as having a real teacher.

Now, have a snickers:grin:
imgres.jpg

Nah, your points are valid, and my comments only reflect my personal goals and opinions. I have been burned buying "official" songbooks that are no better than the worst on-line tab, so my suggestion was only meant to save the OP some money if he wanted some immediate gratification regarding the music book he was looking for. You will notice that I never said youtube lessons were anywhere as good as having a real teacher.

Now, have a snickers:grin:
View attachment 24475
I think there are leftover bratwurst in the fridge :embarrassed:

Back