what's the oldest guitar you've played that you really liked?

GreatDane

"up yours, baby."
up until about four years ago, i couldn't really get into "vintage" guitars. despite the sometimes cult-like attention, i just couldn't connect with the appeal. at the time, i thought "why pay through the nose on something old, when you can get a contemporary guitar with newer specs and better consistency of build, etc." ...

then the collector "vintage" market started to tank and, as a player with some disposable income, i suddenly started to come across previously-unattainable older guitars that were now priced at a point i could get into... and you know what? there were a few that were actually REALLY great.

i'm lucky to have come across five old guitars that i really dig.

1955 Gretsch Duo-Jet
w55GretschDuoJet-003.jpg

1958 Gibson ES-175D
w58GibsonES175D-002.jpg

1962 Gibson LP/SG
w62GibsonSG-034.jpg

1964 Fender Stratocaster
w64FenderStrat_Fiesta-001.jpg

1964 Gibson ES-335
w64Gibson335-002.jpg

how about you? cheap or holy-grail... what gave you goosebumps?

friend of mine has a late 60s/early 70s Ric 360 with hi-gain pickups. that's an amazing instrument. otherwise, i'm really not into vintage instruments.

I nearly bought a 1958 strat at GC in Hollywood about 10 years ago. it was $9500 though and I was married for just about a year..didn't want to be married for ONLY a year :embarrassed:

friend of mine has a late 60s/early 70s Ric 360 with hi-gain pickups. that's an amazing instrument. otherwise, i'm really not into vintage instruments.

cool. i was the same way. then something changed and i guess i'm still trying to figure it out a bit. there are really amazing guitars out there that also happen to be quite old. i guess that's it; there are great guitars out there, both old and new. a guitar that's old isn't inherently a great instrument, but being a great instrument supersedes aspects like age (and probably cost as well, but that's another thread topic, i'm sure).

i forgot about these two oldies. both amazing for what they are, IMO.

1959 Fender Jazzmaster
w59FenderJazzmaster-002.jpg

1962 Fender Jaguar
w62FenderJaguar-002.jpg

I've got a couple of acoustics from the 60's... a Kay Nylon from '64 and my '69 Fender 1080. Used to have a 50's Buckeye Parlor. Oldest one I've played was a 30's Gibson Parlor.

Not sure what the oldest guitar I've played would be. I've tried out some pretty old acoustics. Some were nice. Others were just old.

I own some guitars from the 60's, some Japanese Teisco oddities, and a Gibson ES-335 that I bought for around $700 when it was just considered "used" and not "vintage."

Not sure what the oldest guitar I've played would be. I've tried out some pretty old acoustics. Some were nice. Others were just old.

I own some guitars from the 60's, some Japanese Teisco oddities, and a Gibson ES-335 that I bought for around $700 when it was just considered "used" and not "vintage."

pics of the 335? nice price!

A friend of mine owed a 50s (not sure exact year) Fender Broadcaster. I played it a couple times - it was seriously one of the best electric guitars I have ever played. I have also played a couple 1930's Gibsons. One was nice - the others were meh...

Thanks man. I dig that 335 of yours as well. Love the classic burst.

thank you. it's a very nice player, even with the maestro trem. i was hunting for a cherry 335 when i found this one. it played so nice, i couldn't say no.

I was given the late 40's mid 50's Old Kraftman by my wife's grandmother. It's what I taught myself to play on. It's got a neck Stevie Ray Vaughan would love. It was ruff looking and not what I'd call an expensive guitar and I refinished it.

OldKraftsman.jpg

1958 Les Paul Special, TV yellow, double cut. I sold it like an idiot, but that guitar rocked. When I bought my 2000 PRS McCarty, it was like the ghost of the '58 and I think it still might be my favorite guitar I own now. Also had a 1963 Duo Sonic that was a very special guitar. I sold that too but the new owner had me replace the pickups and I have the originals in the neck and bridge on one of my strats now. I missed it and bought a 1967 Duo Sonic and hated it; only kept it about a month. Go figure... I have a 1974 SG Standard now that is a screamer. Really acoustically loud and rings like a bell. I've had older guitars, but none that excited me like these three.

Back