What's a good mid priced drum kit?

I bought my son a Gretsch drumset off of Craigslist for pretty cheap.

It's apparently a pretty serviceable kit.

I know it sure annoyed the shit out of us......if you lived closer, I would sell it to you.

Hell, I might fucking give it to you.

If by mid priced, you are talking about the $700 - $800 range, Gretsch Catalina, Mapex Meridian, Tama Silverstar, and Ludwig Epic kits are all good. If you are looking for something that fits into a smaller space, I would suggest something like a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 4 piece kit. If you check around on ebay and craigslist, they can be found used for a good price. New they go for about $650 without a sale price. I've seen them on Craigslist for about $450. You might also consider a used Pearl Export kit. For a long time, the Export was a standard workhorse gigging kit.

You'll probably find that most similarly priced kits are of similar quality. Cheaper kits skimp on the hardware.

My Pulse kit isn't a bad kit at all once I replaced the heads, cymbals and hardware. :embarrassed:

Sent from The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

I've been looking at the mid-price Gretsch stuff for my first acoustic kit. Of course I've also been looking at the mid level Yamaha electronic kits.

Gretsch and Yamaha make good stuff new at the mid-price. You can often pick up used Gretsch Catalina kits around her for around $300. I used to be a Tama guy, but right now I'm have a Mapex Pro M kit, which you can normally find used for around $500. I like maple shells for what I'm doing now, but if I had to do it again I'd go Birch.

Back