What upbeat songs do you have in your set?

GreatDane

"up yours, baby."
I played a great little party gig last night, and it went great. I do think I need more upbeat vocal tunes though. Looking for suggestions. Any skill level is fine. Our current set is 70's - 00s folk and rock styled tunes. Not looking for anything too "out there" for this set list.

What say you?

Ones that we've added recently that have gone over great (but are more current') are "Save Me San Francisco" by Train and "Mr Brightsize" by the Killers.

This song:

Older tunes:

Let's Go - The Cars
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz (kinda upbeat)
American Girl - Tom Petty

We played a punk rock version of "Leaving on a Jet Plane" that could be a faster folk version.

Not sure this helps since they aren't really folky but could probably be converted.

I've been thinking of trying to add this acoustic version of "Wake Me Up"

Ones that we've added recently that have gone over great (but are more current') are "Save Me San Francisco" by Train and "Mr Brightsize" by the Killers.

This song:

Older tunes:

Let's Go - The Cars
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz (kinda upbeat)
American Girl - Tom Petty

We played a punk rock version of "Leaving on a Jet Plane" that could be a faster folk version.

Not sure this helps since they aren't really folky but could probably be converted.

I've been thinking of trying to add this acoustic version of "Wake Me Up"

yeah, that helps. honestly, i shouldn't have even indicated a genre because you're right that anything can be worked into an acoustic arrangement for the most part. we do "when you were young" by the Killers and that has been getting a really good response. might have to try "mr. brightside" as well to mix it up. thanks, Mark!

anyone else got anything to share?

"I could always guarantee, if I bought a Steve Earle album I was going to like the saddest, most lowdown song the most," [Gillian] Welch said during a phone interview. "Beautiful love songs, I don't have anything insightful to say about that stuff. But I do seem to be able to see what drives these more tragic moments in life. So I don't really question it; I'm perfectly happy to be the person who writes the sad and the dark songs."
Kicking Up Cinders doesn't do upbeat either. :embarrassed:

Hmmm.....that I can think of off the top of my head.

Social D version of Ring Of Fire
TP - Running Down A Dream
Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me
Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
Romantics - What I Like About You
Kings Of Leon - Sex On Fire

thank you for the suggestions, y'all. i've got a nice list going at this point. now i have to learn them all ... but that's the fun part.

Nothing in Dminor?

keep-calm-and-lick-my-love-pump.png

My drummer would say "most songs" because we like to play at a brisk pace....

but truthfully,
Hey Girl - O.A.R.
Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
Locked out of Heaven - Bruno Mars
Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars
Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
Banditos - Refreshments

Those are probably our most upbeat tunes.

My drummer would say "most songs" because we like to play at a brisk pace....

but truthfully,
Hey Girl - O.A.R.
Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
Locked out of Heaven - Bruno Mars
Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars
Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
Banditos - Refreshments

Those are probably our most upbeat tunes.

That's because drummers can't tell the different between upbeat and up-tempo. :lol:

Good grief Charlie Brown!

There isn't a single song mentioned in this thread (yes, including THAT ONE) that wouldn't make me want to club baby seals if I were forced to perform them live.

This cover band business is a rough one. I think I would spontaneously vomit and start convulsing I if I had to play "What I like about you".

Mojo.

Good grief Charlie Brown!

There isn't a single song mentioned in this thread (yes, including THAT ONE) that wouldn't make me want to club baby seals if I were forced to perform them live.

This cover band business is a rough one. I think I would spontaneously vomit and start convulsing I if I had to play "What I like about you".

Mojo.

Hey!!! I didn't even mention any of the Sublime tunes on our list!!! :tongue:

I just alternate between:

The Go-Gos 'We Got The Beat' and
Katrina & The Waves 'Walking On Sunshine'.

Over and over.

For an hour and a half.

Then I say "thank you and good night from 'The Obscure 80s' - tell your friends and drive safely"

Back