Question: What strings do you use?

jelloman

Couch'd Tater...
I know, it's been asked before, sorry...

I'm working on setting myself up to start doing some guitar work on the side, and I'd like to keep a selection of strings on hand for my (hopefully) customers...so I figured I'd get an idea of what's most popular...

So if you would be so kind as to tell me your choices for acoustic, electric, and bass, including brand and gauges, I'd be most appreciative, and I might even go so far as to "like" your response...:wink:

Thanks! :Wave:

Well, I use Gibson Vintage Reissue 11's for my electrics Not a very popular brand to keep in stock. D'Addario's for my acoustics and Chromes for my archtops.

Most guys around here default to D'Addario and maybe Elixer. I think it's easier to buy D'Addario in bulk too.

Ernie Ball .10 for the Gibson scale
And Ernie Ball .09 for the Fender scale
My Taylor has Elixer
.13 and my Takamine gets whatever I have.

I don't have an acoustic or bass at the moment. I currently use D'Addario's 11-49 on my 24.75" Tele and 10-46 on my 2 Mastery guitars. It's crazy how much the extra string length from the bridge to the vibrato adds. The 11's on the Tele (with a 3/4" longer scale) have more give than the 10's on the 24" scale. I've been toying with taking those to 9's to get the guitars playing about the same.

I'm not too picky on brand. I buy D'Addarios because you get points with every pack and when you get enough points, you get free stuff :grin:

I've used Ernie Ball, DRs, Dunlop and just about everything else from time to time.

I mostly use the big brown one on top. It's a lot easier to get to than the little thin one at the bottom...

Seriously, though -- I use D'Addarios for both electric and acoustic. The coated ones (EXP17 - .12-.56) acoustic and the NYXLs in 10s or 11s for electric.

12s on acoustic. Don't have a brand.

D'Addarios for roundwounds. Usually 11s or 12s.

Started using Thomastik 12s for flats, but have used Pyramids and D'Addarios. Anywhere from 10-12.

Long shiny ones.

My real answer will be about as useless as my smart ass answer. Some of my electrics have Fender 150's. Acoustics are getting Martin Silk and Steels lately. Most of my stuff has one flavor of T-I's or another on it.

D'Addarios are the cheapest A-brand here. I use 9s on the strat and 10s on the PRS. I don't remember what's on the acoustic (except that they are roundwound now; the flats weren't cutting it for jangle) or the classical.

On bass I have (D'Addario) Chromes on the P and now (D'Addario) tapewounds on the J.

Elixir 10-49 on all F scale electrics 10-52 on all G scale, D'addario 11-52 on my acoustic and Warwick Red Label 45-105 on my bass.

Btw, I don't see a problem with only carrying one brand of strings and promoting byos with a discount if you want something different.
This. State "I will restring with X brand strings. If you prefer your own brand, bring them and get a $X discount."

Guitar players - you'll never please them all. :rolleyes:

Back