What is your opinion on people talking during concerts?

Is it okay to talk loudly during a concert?

• Yes, I paid to attend, I'll talk if I'd like to

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No, concert goers should pay attention to the performance

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

CannedHeat

Little Hot Wing
After reading about the incident at a Ray Lamontagne concert recently, I've seen many comments supporting both sides of the argument. I'd like to know what you guys think about it.

I don't consider cheering, clapping, or speaking quietly to those around you the kind of talking that this poll is about.

Here is a link to the aforementioned incident. It does seem to be a bit of an extreme example.
http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/ada-cascade/2014/07/23/lamontagne-halts-fmg-concert/13080485/

Ray who?

I think it's normal, especially if you are there with friends, to talk at least a little bit during a loud, amplified show.

Talking at a show like Keith Jarrett or similar? No. Talking at an AC/DC concert, sure why not? As long as you aren't gabbing non-stop and annoying others around you.

I'm not familiar enough with Ray Lamontana's music to know if it's a more quiet type atmosphere or not.

I second,"Ray Who".......The 'concerts' I go to are usually so loud that I could fart as loud as I can and the person sitting next to me,(usually a family member or friend),wouldn't hear it...

The quieter events like listening to Steve Earle and his wife in a smaller arena I usually keep a little quieter......

Question? Who,as an entertainer,doesn't want the people that they're entertaining,"GETTING INTO WHAT THEY'RE DOING"?

I don't think talking loudly (at a volume where others around, possibly even the band could hear) about something unrelated to a concert is "getting into what the artist is doing"

This is not so much applicable to a stadium show like AC/DC where the volume would negate any talking, but more small venue type shows where several people talking can be heard over the band.

Well ok,ya........If the event is that small then I guess you have your uncle throw them out of the hall......

I don't think talking loudly (at a volume where others around, possibly even the band could hear) about something unrelated to a concert is "getting into what the artist is doing"

This is not so much applicable to a stadium show like AC/DC where the volume would negate any talking, but more small venue type shows where several people talking can be heard over the band.

I only go to small venue shows. I'm not talking over a classical performance. But a rock show, or even a jazz show, in a bar? Talk all you want.

Is that a national story? That happened down the street from me, so it's all over my Facebook feed. As a bar band guy, I couldn't care less if people talk while I'm playing. I'm lucky if they don't have ESPN on 15 different TVs. If some people are ruining everyone's night and staff isn't doing anything about it, that's one thing, but if people are just choosing to disengage, that's kinda on me as a performer.

That said, I've seen a dozen shows at this venue,

... Sorry, got stuck in that typing window. ..

The nature of that venue is that there's a ton of corporate owned season tickets, so there's always a ton of barely interested, entitled jack offs who didn't pay to get in and have no investment in the show. For a non-legacy act like this, the tickets usually fall to low level associates who don't necessarily know the performer, but were eager to get to go to the gardens and drink beer for free. So the crowds there are routinely uninspiring, to say the least. I could see it being frustrating.

my guess is that there was a larger bug up his ass and the loving couple just set it all off. seems kind of a big over-reaction by the sensitive, ironic hat-wearing troubadour.

As a guy who has attended and performed at a number of coffee shop type performances, I find the loud talking annoying, but, in that setting, it is to be expected. If I go to a concert hall, I expect people to not be having loud conversations, just as I would at a movie theater (if I ever went to a movie theater).

Ray who?

I think it's normal, especially if you are there with friends, to talk at least a little bit during a loud, amplified show.

Talking at a show like Keith Jarrett or similar? No. Talking at an AC/DC concert, sure why not? As long as you aren't gabbing non-stop and annoying others around you.

I'm not familiar enough with Ray Lamontana's music to know if it's a more quiet type atmosphere or not.

I'm not too familiar with his work, I only know that Jason Isbell was opening for him for a while this summer.

If it is a small acoustic type show (which this could have been based on the few things I have heard from him) then I wouldn't talk, but a rock show, talk all you want.

Depends on the show/venue. If it's a small venue with a quieter/acoustic type show, then any conversations should be quiet and respectful of the other audience members. Naturally a rock show requires a little more volume, but still, people are going to talk to each other a little. Non-stop gabbing is annoying though.

However, in a bar/cover band scenario, folks are out on the town to have a fun night and conversation is expected.

Well, common sense having been exiled by PC, Audience Etiquette 101 is temporarily up for grabs until it returns.

...it depends.

Are you in a bar already and then a small band starts playing? Sure. They're ambient music to entertain as you drink with your friends.

Mega loud auditorium show? Maybe. Just depends on how loud they're playing. But if someone outside of your immediate area can hear you, then that's not cool.

Small venue show? If you talk during the song then you're probably a total dick.

I don't see a quick comment here and there an issue, but there does need to be a sensitivity to people around you wanting to hear the performance and not you. The quieter and more intimate the performance, the more sensitive you need to be able talking.

I don't see a quick comment here and there an issue, but there does need to be a sensitivity to people around you wanting to hear the performance and not you. The quieter and more intimate the performance, the more sensitive you need to be able talking.
Yeah, there is a difference between a quick comment and a sustained, loud conversation.

Its just about common sense. Most of my gigs are so loud it doesn't matter. But if its a low enough volume gig and the people are being asshole enough to interfere with the listener enjoying the show and the performer actually performing then I would go about humiliating the offending party from the stage.

Back