Van Halen "I'm the One" isolated guitar track.

Such. Piercing. Tone.

:mp:
Amy Adams does not agree:

article-2609911-1D3FBE8F00000578-840_634x900.jpg

Also, in context it works:

One of my favorite VH tunes. It is funny while just the guitar track play I can hear the whole song playing with Eddie. Some things in this recording towards the end I couldn't hear well when I used to study this song. It is so nice to hear these parts.

Such. Piercing. Tone.

You're weak!!!

So piercing that people have tried to emulate it ever since they heard it for the first time.

Like it or not this is the tone that changed the world...

No, that was the tone that changed the 80's. I hate it. Quite possible the single most overrated tone ever. THIS is the tone that changed the world. :wink:

Such. Piercing. Tone.

Couldn't disagree with you more on this. It's not the fizzy late 80's sound... it's not the wall of mush that so much modern medal is. It really is the evolution of the Hendrix tone. The rhythm has balls but is still distinct... the bends and harmonics slice through the mix like a jazz trumpet.

I love the Beatles for their song writing... but I love EVH for his tone and rhythmic layers. A one man wrecking crew. Love love love it.

a tad bright and overly distorted there
but in general his tone is pretty epic

listen how it cuts through
the shitty keyboards
it sits in the mix perfectly

this is the tone

if you dont like
this you dont like
paf into plexi

you dont like rock.

pretty sure this is all 1 take,
which is amazing in itself
all his songs stand alone and work
as music.

listen to his rythm, dude swings!

Last edited:
this is the tone

if you dont like
this you dont like
paf into plexi

you dont like rock.

pretty sure this is all 1 take,
which is amazing in itself
all his songs stand alone and work
as music.

listen to his rythm, dude swings!

THIS is the sound of rock.

I'm not disputing that Eddie could play; I'm just saying his signature tone is incredibly overrated and when not viewed through nostalgia eyes, sounds pretty crappy. I understand that his tone sounds a lot better in the mix, but even then it manages to be piercing and wooly at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back