Update: Wife's new 2016 Toyota Highlander

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
She is looking at a 2016 Toyota Highlander Limited Platinum model with the v6 AWD drivetrain. Anyone have any compelling reason to not get this vehicle? I know the 2017 is a styling redesign and adds a direct injected v6 and a new transmission, but the toyota regular injection v6 in the current iteration and transmission have been around the block and are regarded as very reliable.

She wants something with 3 rows, but not a full size truck based SUV, so I guess we are in crossover territory. I think the Highlander is based on the camry chassis and mechanicals, which is extremely reliable, but generally considered bland and boring. This car might drive on the beach or gravel/dirt roads, but no real off road driving or winter snow weather is expected.

The other competitors are the Honda Pilot (which is probably also very good but she thinks it is ugly) and the new Mazda CX9 (which looks good, but lacks a lot of the options of the other two, and is a 4 cyl turbo). Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes, BMW are all too much money for a family car. I have kids that spill shit on things and don't want to spend more than I did on my first house for a car. Nissan has an awful CVT transmission I will not buy. Hyundai Santa Fe is also an option, but Hyundai's V6 is harsh compared to the Japanese v6 offerings, or so I hear. I will certainly take a look at this car as I have the least experience with it.

Last edited:
I have nothing to add, other than the fact that the Highlander and the Pilot look pretty much the same to me. I can vouch for Hondas as long-lasting vehicles.

Toyota Highlander

7 models
LE
LE Plus
XLE
Limited
Limited Platinum
Hybrid Limited
Hybrid Limited Platinum

What happened to "there can be only one"? :confused:

Next year they plan to clean all this mess up by adding an SE model and extending the hybrid option across the range. That should add about 9 more models. :messedup:

We have an '07 Highlander that has been my wife's car since it was new. Not the most exciting vehicle out there but it has been totally reliable, and it has room for my telescope and all the stuff that goes with it. When it comes time to replace it (maybe next year if I'm not in terror of losing my job) we will definitely look at the new Highlanders first.

Gas mileage would be the only issue I can think of, but if that's not an issue, the Highlander is nice vehicle. I'd love the Hybrid version, but it starts at nearly $50K...screw that noise!

I love my Pilot. It won out in features and comfort over a lot of the luxury models. I have a '13, which is before they became ugly (IMO). I agree with your wife, I really don't like the look of the new ones. I average 20 mpg, mixed hwy and town driving, and I have a lead foot. I would have considered Toyota if I didn't have a really bad experience with my wife's RAV4.

We drove the mazda cx9 in grand touring trim this afternoon. It was a seriously nice interior with lots of nice options. Mazda has really upped their interior game with this one, and it was every bit as nice as any luxury car I have been in recently. It drove really great and was dead quiet. We really liked it, but, as I said in the original post, it lacks some of the features of the competition.

Reactions: Tig
We have a Honda Pilot and CRV. I couldn't be happier with their quality.
Four years ago I switched our work trucks from Chevrolets to Toyotas . One of the best moves we've ever made, saving countless thousands a year on maintenance.

Can't speak for the Highlander, but I do love my Tundra.
Toyota makes very reliable vehicles.

Except when they don't. And then don't own up to a known issue. And when they finally do, they replace the ECM after the original one had already thrashed your tranny, and it doesn't even fix the initial problem.
http://www.toyotaproblems.com/trends/rav4-transmission/
To their credit, my local dealership (not even the one who sold it to me), ultimately replaced the ECM twice and put a new tranny in. I'd definitely do business with them again. I'd just never buy another Toyota. Honda 4-evar!1!!

Toyota Highlander

7 models
LE
LE Plus
XLE
Limited
Limited Platinum
Hybrid Limited
Hybrid Limited Platinum

What happened to "there can be only one"? :confused:

They should offer a version with a Scottish Tartan material woven into parts of the seats.....

.... and sword holder in the dash. :helper:

She drove the Highlander yesterday and liked the interior features a little better than the mazda. The driving experience was more truck like than the relatively nimble mazda. I think the toyota was faster off the line and had better and more linear brakes, but the steering was kind of a let down in terms of being a bit numb in feel. I think the highlander is in the lead, just based on reliability and overall package contents.

She is off to drive the pilot and the acura MDX. The acura is quite a bit more money than the other cars we are looking at, but her friend has one and she wants to at least consider it.

Last edited:
Alright, drove everything yesterday, and ended up putting a deposit on the Highlander this morning. She picked out a nice mica gray highlander limited platinum AWD with a black leather interior. Here is a pic of the car (not THE car, but the same car on the web). Got a really good deal as they are changing the engine and trans for the 2017 model, so dealers want to get rid of the old one.

2015-toyota-highlander-limited-predawn-gray-mica-rear-quarter.jpg

Inside picture....

1d37ae1945225b171bbf5d8136f817e3x.jpg

2015-Toyota-Highlander-B2.jpg

Last edited:
Back